Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Lotus Carlton

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
cool - brings back memories of my teenage years :)

·
Banned
467 Posts
simply LOVING that story Jay! :thumbs:

Anyone that doesn't think that this car is anything cooler than seriously cool should go and pop the kettle on, make yourself a horlicks and settle down in your comfy armchair with your slippers on and continue your incessant complaining about how things were so much better 'in the old days'

miserable old gits :lol:

K

·
0 Posts
Its performance was dramatic enough to raise questions in the House and have the worthy Guardianistas spluttering into their lattes (or whatever they drank back then) about the ridiculous speeds it could achieve - how cool is that?
I believe the capuccino was king of the hill in those pre-skinny decaf days.

How can it not be cool when safety-tsars (or is it czars, I'm never sure) wanted to ban it.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Cool.

Not sub-zero, no.

But very cool :cool: !

Keithyboy -- tsar, czar, both acceptable :thumbs:

J

·
0 Posts
Part of the reason the the requested ban was this:

Vauxhall had just sold a lot of 24V Senators to police forces, Vauxhall had neglected to let the police forces know that they were just about to import a car that could literally blow the doors off a Senny 154Mph V's 176Mph of the LC.....

This caused outrage, made worse by the fact that all of the RHD issue LC's had been sold and deposits taken from them, so the old bill couldn't have one :lol:

Finally Vauxhall agreed to install restrictors to them, they were then wound back to 155Mph, but it was dead easy to bypass and ome of the early cars had no limiter at all

I have seen a Vauxhall Omega with full Lotus carlton running gear, the car was badged as a 2.0 GLS, aside from the DTM style wiper and slightly wider wheels and tyres this car looked standard, it was evil and very little got past it in the traffic light grand prix

K

·
0 Posts
Part of the reason the the requested ban was this:

Vauxhall had just sold a lot of 24V Senators to police forces, Vauxhall had neglected to let the police forces know that they were just about to import a car that could literally blow the doors off a Senny 154Mph V's 176Mph of the LC.....

This caused outrage, made worse by the fact that all of the RHD issue LC's had been sold and deposits taken from them, so the old bill couldn't have one :lol:

Finally Vauxhall agreed to install restrictors to them, they were then wound back to 155Mph, but it was dead easy to bypass and ome of the early cars had no limiter at all

I have seen a Vauxhall Omega with full Lotus carlton running gear, the car was badged as a 2.0 GLS, aside from the DTM style wiper and slightly wider wheels and tyres this car looked standard, it was evil and very little got past it in the traffic light grand prix
Those 24v Senators were cracking cars too.

·
Banned
467 Posts
cool but not a patch on the sierra rs cosworth
Errrrrrrm. You sure?

Cossie: a 2000cc, 200 hp. Single turbo. 3dr hatch

VERSUS

a 3.7l 377hp 170mph twin turbo NUTTER that you can scare the crap outta the kids, in comfort. And easily get them in and out of.

Ok. Not a patch. Never.

Guess you'd prefer a new Focus RS to the new Skyline?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
It's a Vauxhall Carlton ffs how can it be cool, even with a Lotus badge?

·
Administrator
45,670 Posts
It's engineered by Lotus ffs, how can it be uncool, even if it does look like a Vauxhall Carlton?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Sub-zero.

I remember first seeing this at a motorshow when I was 8. I harrassed my Dad to the point of being annoying about buying one. He never did though :(

Would definately still fancy an unmolested example in my lottery barn of cars. :cool:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
It's engineered by Lotus ffs, how can it be uncool, even if it does look like a Vauxhall Carlton?
Its a carlton on roids. And its been given the full lotus treatment.
Its completely sub zero.
I remember when this came out. There was nothing else like it. People tried to can the thing it was so scary.
And for that reason alone its legendary in my eyes.

D

·
0 Posts
Uncool for me. Never really liked them, and having a mental engine is great but doesn't make what is basically a Vauxhall Carlton cool, let alone SZ, :eek:

Bag of dross in my eyes. Fast dross though.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Sub Zero :cool:
The first supersaloon and still the benchmark all are judged by. When it was launched only an F40 would out accelerate it - can you imagine Vauxhall launching a Vectra that would beat everything except a Veyron? Thats what the Carlton did.
It caused uproar at launch - there were calls to ban this "176 mph family car"
Awesome car. I want one.
^^ What Jim said... Absolutely sub zero!!!!!

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

S

·
0 Posts
Uber cool, was a passenger in one in the late 1990s. It was brutal, 4 up, on a motorway slip road, stadning start to 90 in not long at all. Proper moved all my organs about!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Wow .... I didn't know it existed until today! There are several on Autotrader, but they are £16K - £40K :( I would have one for the right price!

61 - 80 of 104 Posts