Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Lotus Carlton

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Premium Member
38,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When this car was introduced back in 1990 only two other production vehicles had a higher top speed, the Ferrari F40 and the Lamborghini Diablo. Not bad for a saloon, or many sports cars. It was based on the Vauxhall Carlton, but Lotus reworked the engine giving it twin turbos and modified the suspension to make it capable of handling the power of the engine. It used the gearbox of the Corvette ZR-1 and could go well over 170 mph. Also, you could have it in any color you wanted as long as it was Imperial Green. Only 950 cars were made. A note, it was called Lotus Omega outside of the UK, therefore the name in the photos.

Engine: GM Inline 6
Displacement: 3,615 cc
Aspiration: Twin Garret T25 Turbochargers
Power: 377.0 bhp (281.1 kW) @ 5,200 rpm
Torque: 419 lb·ft @ 4,200 rpm
Configuration: Front engine, rear-wheel drive
Weight: 1,653 kg (3,644 lbs)
0 - 60 mph: 5.4 seconds
0 - 100 mph: 11.5 seconds
Top speed: 175 mph (281.6 km/h)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Cool but not sub zero.

Used to deliver to the Lotus factory where they were put together.
I quite liked the wheels on it. They all used to be stacked outside the workshop (100's) and looked very nice.

My mate also used to spray them and told me the British racing green with a black fleck was commonly known as Ninja Turtle racing green as they were popular at the time.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
sub zero for me, always had a soft spot for them :)

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Sub Zero :cool:
The first supersaloon and still the benchmark all are judged by. When it was launched only an F40 would out accelerate it - can you imagine Vauxhall launching a Vectra that would beat everything except a Veyron? Thats what the Carlton did.
It caused uproar at launch - there were calls to ban this "176 mph family car"
Awesome car. I want one.

D

·
0 Posts

·
Administrator
45,637 Posts
Incredible car. Do you think it'd be possible to find an unmolested one these days though?
Also, Damn, they made some bad looking interiors in those days, didn't they?

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
Incredible car. Do you think it'd be possible to find an unmolested one these days though?
It's got to be damn near impossible fella...

... and yes, tragic interiors, but back then, we all loved them! :lol:

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
Check the quartz clock :lol::cheese::lol:

I found an old newspaper in someone's loft which had an advert for the 'new' astra (mid to late 80's iirc), one of the selling features was a quartz clock :lol:

1 - 20 of 104 Posts