Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I seem to have developed a few problems.

I have had the car 3 days now & it was all perfectly fine until today.
I took it for a vigorous drive around some back roads & once I got back to town I noticed it felt a bit wallowy at the back over speedbumps, had a quick check & it looks like I have a burst a rear damper. I have also developed a bit of wheel wobble over 30mph, the brakes have developed a squeek & the Rev counter is being very tempremental. The temperature gauge is now also registering 20c over what it has down up til now. I also had a loss of power which went away suddenly & the car pulled off but I think that is down to pulling up sludge from the tank as it was down to an 8th of a tank at the time.

Is there any advice on the rev counter issue & is bursting a rear damper after a spirited drive that easy?

Any advice at all, I dont want a broken alfa :(

Oh & forgot to mention the strong winds up here have caused my drivers door seal to completely go...

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
sorry to hear of it. is it 'bad luck' or did the previous owner conceal these problems! it's just a bummer for you.

what engine 155? this will determine what advice people give you about the engine performance.

the rear dampers are extremely easy to replace. even if you can't replace it yourself, any garage can do the job quickly. worth changing both sides, so that they perform the same. you have to decide whether you stick with something 'factory standard' or upgrade, to something like KONI or Bilstein or KYB, etc.

rising water temp could suggest a dying water pump, thermostat, or sensor.

ratty tacho could be a loose electrical connection (eg: there are little nuts at the back of the cluster that help secure parts and make electrical contact; these can loosen off over time, so are very easy to rectify), or faulty gauge.

loss of power could be an engine electrical (spark plugs, leads, coil packs, air flow meter, etc) or fueling (injector, fuel pressure, etc) or air induction (hole in piping, disconnection, clogged filter, etc) or some other problem!

steering wobble could worn front lower wishbone (bushings), worn steering/tie rods, worn dampers, bad wheel alignment, unbalanced wheels, etc.

so 'anything goes' in an old car. fortunately, they are pretty easy to work on, and parts are not difficult to acquire.

will you be fixing it yourself, or paying a garage/workshop? if paying a mechanic, we probably don't need to go into too much detail about how to do it.

:)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the 2 litre 16v.

I will be doing the work myself, part of the reason for getting an old car, I'm fairly well versed with cars & I'm confident enough to delve into things, if not experienced.

I dont think the problems were concealed, from what I gather the car was never driven hard until I got hold of it & my fairly hard thrash along back roads may have been its first proper 155 useage :p

I will be going for uprated suspension, I see no point in keeping it standard. Are there any common problems I should check that could cause any of this?

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
cool. good that you can DIY, which is what i've been doing with mine.

what i'd probably do in your situation is:

*get hold of a workshop manual to help guide you through the dismantling/fitment of parts including torque specs for all the bolts
*tacho: remove the instrument cluster and check the little nuts at the back; IIRc, two screws at the front and the instruments/cover remove together easily
*suspension: plan on new front lower wishbones (unless you know they've been changed recently); buy your new set of dampers (and springs if that's the plan); replace them all in one hit (or start with just the rear dampers cos that's easy enough to do; but i'd do the wishies when you change the front dampers/springs cos it'll all be pulled apart at that time)
*brakes: i also read your other thread so hopefully the brake performance is sorted; disassemble the calipers in the manner that you'd change the pads; clean them all up and apply copper grease to the edges of the pads where they slide within the calipers; this should rid the squeal; also clean and lubricate the sliding bolts as necessary to ensure the calipers are not seized on their pins
*dirty fuel? i add 200ml of kerosene/paraffin to a full tank of petrol every few months, especially early on, to help clean the injectors (injector cleaner is apparently predominantly paraffin); there's a thread about this on AO which is interesting; certainly helped with my 155
*water temp: change the thermostat

they're the relatively simple things you can do. then work from there. with the front suspension, inspect and change the antiroll bar drop links if required, cos these bushings also perish over time. same with the 'bearings' that sit atop the dampers which are for the steering (for the dampers to pivot). it becomes a lot clearer if you have the workshop manual to refer to.

:)

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Aye! They're not too severe problems.. just normal wear and tear. You have to remember that most of those parts are 12-15 years old now.... Shiny has it all explained.. it's just a case of working through the items. Once they're sorted, they'll more or less stay sorted.

Check the age/condition of the cam-belt and tensioner though or that might be another thing to let go if you're going to rag the beast a bit. (Hint-Hint: Personally I'd take it easy until you have the oil/filter/belts/tensioner all replaced or you're happy they're good.. engine is a different matter to some suspension items).

Ralf S.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. The belt & tensioner will be first to be changed in a week or so. I've heard they can go quite easily & bent valves are not something I'm keen on having.

Advice is taken in & it will be getting done as the funds are available :)

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Aye! Cheap motor to buy... but generally you have to budget about the same again to fix it! :D

Ralf S.

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
Don't know about near Aberdeen, but a wee way down the road in Dundee there are a few keen 155ers, who can doubtless assist with any issues if you need any hands-on help. The link to the forum that Celadon posted on your brakes thread will get you to them...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts