Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 155 1.8 has been off the road for just over a year, after a brief trip to the local mechanic (who is a genuine 'honest' John) I've been told that to pass the MOT it'll need the interior stripping out and 500quid of welding to be done . . . Oh dear! Its a shame because the engine and recent belt and variator are fine! With regards the relative value of the car and the country soon to return to recession 500quid is going to be too much! Anyone got any ideas? Know any super cheap welders? Should I let it go for spares and repairs? Or keep it for racing? (don't really have the space!) It's in Stratford-upon-avon, smack in the middle of the Island!

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
If it has gone at the usual places, ie the drain holes in front of the rear/front seats, then 500 sounds a bit much.

I had mine welded drivers side front/rear, and passenger rear, for 160.

Really does depend on how much work is to be done.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You could remove and replace the interior yourself and put the drivers seat back in to drive it to the welder. That would reduce the cost.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
You could remove and replace the interior yourself and put the drivers seat back in to drive it to the welder. That would reduce the cost.
Yep, thats what i did.

Also once you have stripped out the carpet and underlay, you will need to remove the black bitumen type sound reducing compound from the floor to enable any welding to be done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Chaps, I'm going to do some more research, that last thing I really one to do is give it up . . . can anyone recommend any where in the Midlands to get the work done?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts