Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2001 916 2.0 TS with Bosch 5.3 ABS which I amunable to get any analysere to connect to,
Instead I need to use the inbuilt diagnostics via the T8 connector, I am unablr to locate the connector whic is supposed to be close to the ABS unit
or the brake fluid reservoir. I can not locate it at all . Question Does the 2001 (Feb) spider have the T8 conn:ector please ?

·
Registered
'98 GTV V6
1,299 Posts
Hi I have a 2001 916 2.0 TS with Bosch 5.3 ABS which I amunable to get any analysere to connect to,
Instead I need to use the inbuilt diagnostics via the T8 connector, I am unablr to locate the connector whic is supposed to be close to the ABS unit
or the brake fluid reservoir. I can not locate it at all . Question Does the 2001 (Feb) spider have the T8 conn:ector please ?
Your vehicle, will have an integrated diagnostic connector commonly refereed as the "OBD Port" & as Mr Caine states is located to the right of the steering wheel behind the access panel for the fusebox. It has a grey cap covering the port.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your vehicle, will have an integrated diagnostic connector commonly refereed as the "OBD Port" & as Mr Caine states is located to the right of the steering wheel behind the access panel for the fusebox. It has a grey cap covering the port.
Thank you for your help.
The reason I need to connect is the speedo does not work, the ABS lamp and the handbrake lap are lit, indicating an ABS problem
I have replace the ABS module,without any improvement, so now I need to track down the fault cause.
I have been connecting to the OBD Port with a couple of different interfaces, I have been able to connect to the Air bag system and the enging diagnostics.
Unfortunatly I can not get an OBD11 or KKL interface to connect to the ABS system using Multicuscan on a computer or a Maxiscan unit.
Which is why I was hoping tht there was a T8 connector that I could use to utilise the inbuilt self diagnostics flasher.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Do your old ABS unit and the replacement unit have the same part number. The early phase 2 GTV used the same unit as the later phase 1. Later phase 2 units incorporated the rear brake compensator control.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
The early phase 2 GTV used the same unit as the later phase 1. .
Different Bosch version code though as the otherwise identical unit on the P1 didn't output the speed information. At least my car ( May 1997 ) doesn't - but there may have been some overlap. The later unit became the spare part for the earlier cars I believe. Probably just a different firmware version.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
just a small suggestion, my abs light was on when I bought the car, it was a broken terminal on the positive battery terminal, the ABS is powered direct from there, fortunately a very simple fix for me. worth a look.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The part numbers are different, however I e-fitted the original unit after the replacement one made no difference. Have power at teminals as per workshop manual but npne at terminal 15 on the ABS module.
The car has had some work , replaced motor etc.

·
Registered
'98 GTV V6
1,299 Posts
As you state that you have no speedo & have no power at pin 15. Could it be that connector G124 is not correctly home/seated. If you are sure that connector is fully home/seated then have you looked at fuse F3 (10A) on auxiliary fusebox G2 as this fuse supplies pin 15 on your connector (ABS system power). If you look at the attached wiring diagram to the ABS there are in fact 3 fuses in the system. I have extracted the location diagram from the workshop manual for fuse F3. It is located on the auxiliary rail that live close to the main fusebox inside the car below the steering wheel.

Attachments

Reactions: alexGS

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
THANKS STIXY.
I found a loose connection/bad connection and rectified that. I now have power to all places that are required to have power. Also found a loose retaining screw on a wheel sensor (we do not use salt on the roads here as there is no ice on the roads) so there is very little rust problems. I think my adaptor lead for the kKL interface is wired in correcty, so I will need to fix/repair that before |I can re-scan the system.
Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate you fellows giving support. Still have no speedo and the brake and ABS lights are still lit. Slow process of elimination !!

·
Registered
'98 GTV V6
1,299 Posts
The ABS & Handbrake lights have illuminated as the ABS system has detected a fault & that fault is no speed signal. With the handbrake light illuminated, the workshop manual does state that drive car with extreme caution as there is no brake proportioning to the rear brakes.

So I would be looking at 2 areas;

• Wiring btw ABS & Engine ECU's
  • Wheels Sensors

Please see attached extracts for some idea's of where to look. Have you had the Engine ECU plugs disconnected? Also there is another plug btw ABS/Engine ECU's (G99).

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts