Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1974 2000 GT Veloce and I have lost the ignition key for it! Does anyone know of a place I can send a door key cylinder in order to have a key made for it? I haven't found a locksmith that can do it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
A proficient locksmith should be able to make you a new ignition key in no time flat.
There should be only two keys for the car; one key for the ignition and the other key for everything else. So making a key for the door lock won't do the ignition switch any good. Do you need door keys as well?
Worst-case scenario would be to replace the ignition switch (which will come with a new key). Sources in the US would be IAP, Centerline and Vicks Auto.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anyone ever taken a switch out? There is something holding it in. Looks like a screw except it does not have anything on it to remove it. How do you take it out to remove the switch?

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
that screw without a slot is a factory shear-off screw...when it was first put together at the factory, the screw was tightened and the head shears off, it is designed to deter thieves!

Go to post #4 here to see a few simple ideas how to remove it on a spider, but should be the same process. (you might have to drop the column if there is no room to get in there)
Ignition switch replacement - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I have a 1974 2000 GT Veloce and I have lost the ignition key for it! Does anyone know of a place I can send a door key cylinder in order to have a key made for it? I haven't found a locksmith that can do it.
The ignition key/lock and door keys/locks are different. The easy and expensive way is buying a new ignition lock with keys. and change it. Or dismantel the lock and check the number; if its stamped in the lock.
Erik

1 - 7 of 7 Posts