Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo GTV 916, 1995 V6 2.0 TB (phase 1)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I hope someone can help with this :-/

After dismantling and refurbishing the center console, something went wrong when reinstalling. When plugging in the connector for the triple-guages (fuel, clock and temp.) I forgot that the battery was connected. Then the fuel lid opened and none of the three gauges worked.

Even worse now none of the warning lights in the main dashboard worked, nor the instrument warning lights (ABS, code etc.), nor the odometer.

All fuses seems ok and are checked and measured. Lights are working, indicators for ligths and blinkers are OK.

Could it be that a fault in the triple-gauge can prevent the main dash board from functioning? Or does anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

·
Registered
GTV, '96, 2.0V6 TB
98 Posts
What year/phase is your car?
Do a search in this forum for (loose fuse) G389. Up to a certain chassis number (6023906 - I think) G389 is used, thereafter the circuits it protects run through the fusebox.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And I am able to start the car, so I guess it cant be fuse G389 which also would prevent the motor from turning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perhaps I was too fast to say that it can start. I have no fuel pump right now. So the motor can "turn". And my chassis number is below what you say, so perhaps G389 is still a possibility? I have looked for it without any luck. Any ideas for where to find it? (THe G389 forum-search didnt help me out).

·
Registered
GTV, '96, 2.0V6 TB
98 Posts
It took me many hours to find mine - I had the whole bulkhead panel out under the bonnet, the wiper cover out - much frustration. Eventually I found it, right where the verbal description in the workshop manual said it was supposed to be....

On my LHD Ph1 the G389 fuse is not visible when you remove the fuse cover. It is attached to the left side of the fuse panel between the panel and the side wall and tucked behind the plastic dash. Other posts have shown people finding it under the bonnet next to the strut top mount. Take care when finding this fuse - there are two fuse holders in the same vicinity (in my car) which are 'loose' on the fusebox rails and have orange wires: G389 (Red Base - Code) and G391(Brown Base - Rear Fog Lights).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It took me many hours to find mine - I had the whole bulkhead panel out under the bonnet, the wiper cover out - much frustration. Eventually I found it, right where the verbal description in the workshop manual said it was supposed to be....
OK, I will try to look to the left of the fusebox (LHD). I seems that I have to remove some plastic to get to it.
But can you confirm that it can be Fuse G389 (the code fuse) which is blown, if the motor can still turn?

·
Registered
GTV, '96, 2.0V6 TB
98 Posts
Yes, my car would turn with the starter. You should not have to remove any plastic other than the fuse cover, just some finger dexterity and a torch. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts