Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a 2006 alfa gt 1.9 manual 6 speed jtd

recently had an issue where there was a big clunk noise when I went into second gear And the I had to get towed home lost all gear when I tryed to get back into gear it was grinding very loud, I went back to it in the morning and it went into gear I drove down the road and was clunking going into 2nd gear on my route back I lost all gears and it won’t engage at all now?? Can anybody help Iv stripped the car down a little the gear stick selector seems ok and the cables is it common for the actuator to fail? Or do you think the gear box has gone?

·
Registered
575 Posts
I can't offer you much but all I can suggest is 3 areas. Most of the time the gearbox and gear selection is sort of separate to the clutch and flywheel.

Clutch and flywheel. On a lot of diesels they have a dual mass flywheel which can fail and cause problems. People on here are quite knowledgeable with these so someone more useful should be able to offer more advice. I'm not sure if even with a failed DMF if you can select gears when the car is not running.

Cables come off at the gear stick end of cables.

Cables come off at the gearbox end of the car.

Have a look in the engine bay on top of the gearbox to see if the selector cables are still attached to the gearbox selector. They can come off, but this would result in the gear stick moving around freely in the car.

Check the master cylinder. Stick you head in the drivers footwell and make sure that the clutch pedal is still connected to the master cylinder. Sometimes the washer/pin fall off resulting in clutch not working.

See if you can select gears with the car not running and foot off the clutch pedal. At least if you hear gear engaging then nothing should be too wrong with the gearbox and selector side of the equation, and it's probably more clutch/flywheel.

·
Registered
292 Posts
From what you have written, I would expect you have a gearbox problem.
When the differential exploded on my GTV, I experienced similar issues to you. I at first could select some gears, then only reverse.
The exploding planet gears punched a hole in the bell housing can caused loss the gearbox oil.
You have not mentioned this though so I would think a bearing or something else has failed.
The gearbox has to be removed regardless of the issue being gearbox or clutch, therefore that is the next step.
Anyway with the box out you will want to fit a new clutch and possibly flywheel due to them being accessible.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
You say lost all gears do you mean they won’t select or you just have no drive?

from what you describe I would suspect the latter given you had a clunk, as above quite possibly the diff has failed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts