Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last night I got into my 156 2.4 JTD 10v and I only had headlights and side lights - no dipped beam, although everything had been working previously. Went out to the car this morning and had only got sidelights. No warning lights showing on dashboard.

A few nights ago I'd driven through a lot of surface water over 24 miles or so, and although this is few days on, I think the problem is due to water ingress, but where?

I have noticed a 'click' from the front of the car a second or so after switching the lights on or off, if that gives any clues as to where to look.

HELP

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Both your headlight bulbs are blown by the sounds of it.

There's no warning lamp on your dash as the CANbus system doesn't check the headlights (assumes you'll notice when they're not on), and the click at the front will be the relay in the fuse box in front of the battery...

I had two bulbs blow within 2 days of eachother after being fitted and working for 13 months... Perfectly possible you've just gt duff bulbs...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't remember off the top of my head if I've got separate bulbs for main and dip, but to have both blow at the same time would be unlikely I think. However what I forgot to mention is that I get one headlamp working on the flasher but not the light switch.

It's a pity that they're such buggers to fit (one is only a couple of months old) but I guess it's worth trying a new one.

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
I can't remember off the top of my head if I've got separate bulbs for main and dip, but to have both blow at the same time would be unlikely I think. However what I forgot to mention is that I get one headlamp working on the flasher but not the light switch.

It's a pity that they're such buggers to fit (one is only a couple of months old) but I guess it's worth trying a new one.
Main and Dip are separate bulbs and separate fuses.
Dip are H7 bulbs.
Main are H1 bulbs.

As said, the bulbs warning doesn't cover main or dip.

You've got to check bulbs first.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Main and Dip are separate bulbs and separate fuses.
Dip are H7 bulbs.
Main are H1 bulbs.

As said, the bulbs warning doesn't cover main or dip.

You've got to check bulbs first.
But I still get one headlamp on the flasher, so plainly that bulb is not blown, but it doesn't light up from the main lighting switch on the stalk. Also all of the other 3 bulbs blowing at once? I think that's unlikely.

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
But I still get one headlamp on the flasher, so plainly that bulb is not blown, but it doesn't light up from the main lighting switch on the stalk. Also all of the other 3 bulbs blowing at once? I think that's unlikely.
Unlikely, but weird stuff happens.

You'll need to find a wiring diagram of the stalk switch and the relay.
(I think) Dips don't go through the relay when it is just dip beam, but when you switch to main beam I think dips then go via the relay. Its why aftermarket HIDs can go off for a second when you go from main beam to dip beam.

But never ignore the obvious, so check all the bulbs & fuses first.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unlikely, but weird stuff happens.

You'll need to find a wiring diagram of the stalk switch and the relay.
(I think) Dips don't go through the relay when it is just dip beam, but when you switch to main beam I think dips then go via the relay. Its why aftermarket HIDs can go off for a second when you go from main beam to dip beam.

But never ignore the obvious, so check all the bulbs & fuses first.
I stand before you (I'm sitting actually) having eaten my own words and a goodly portion of humble pie. When I checked again on main beam I did have one on the offside, so off to the local motor factors. Good old Firstline - one of the guys came out and fitted the bulbs for me (foc) and the two dip bulbs had blown (one in a most spectacular manner) but the nearside head hadn't. I changed the fuse just in case, but no joy - so I guess it's a wiring problem, but where to start.

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
Have you checked the earth wire connection for the non working main beam?

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
I haven't checked any of the wiring yet, tbh, I don't have a clue where to start. Will that have a separate earth or a shared one?
From memory, because the H1 bulb only has a single wire connection, there is a 1/4" spade connector pushed on to the bulb mounting inside the headlight.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well as predicted the earth connector had come adrift within the headlamp unit, so a slight nip up of the connector (which was a sloppy fit, reconnect and let there be light.

Thanks everyone for your help and once again illustrating the try the obvious first and several things can happen at the same time.

What would I do without forums? ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts