Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, staying away from home this week and have had to take the GT along an absolute ***** of a road. Clumped the baseboard a couple of times, and checked this morning and the cars lost a lot of oil (won't know for sure until the engine cools enough to check properly later)

The leak appears to be from the part in this picture with the white and green writing on it, what is this?

Attachments

·
Vendor
45,312 Posts
That unit with the white & green label on it is the air conditioning compressor. That won't be the source of your leak but the oil pump and filter housing is very near to there. Also the sump is fairly low and could have cracked if you've whacked the bottom of the car on something.

Is yours the 1.8 TS model or the 2.0 JTS?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That unit with the white & green label on it is the air conditioning compressor. That won't be the source of your leak but the oil pump and filter housing is very near to there. Also the sump is fairly low and could have cracked if you've whacked the bottom of the car on something.

Is yours the 1.8 TS model or the 2.0 JTS?
Its the 1.8 TS, weird thing is there's absolutely no oil where it was parked over night but its on a slight incline pointing downwards towards the rear of the car

·
Vendor
45,312 Posts
Any sign of the oil leaking onto other components within the engine bay? How do you know the oil has not just burnt off? Twinsparks do like a drink, it says upto 1 litre per 1,000 kilometres is considered the upper limit of normal oil consumption.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its the 1.8 TS, weird thing is there's absolutely no oil where it was parked over night but its on a slight incline pointing downwards towards the rear of the car
Managed to get my arm and phone down to take a photo - this is as if you were looking in and up from the drivers side front wheel arch. A seal?

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any sign of the oil leaking onto other components within the engine bay? How do you know the oil has not just burnt off? Twinsparks do like a drink, it says upto 1 litre per 1,000 kilometres is considered the upper limit of normal oil consumption.
Its noticeable below the ac unit on the tray, a collection of oil and had dripped a bit in a carpark this morning hence my knowing something's up - checked level and seems very low but that's unreliable until engine cool. As you can see from the pic above its seeping from a component under the ac?

·
Vendor
45,312 Posts
OK in your picture you can see the leaking oil coating the oil-cooler/heat-exchanger unit. It could be leaking from between this unit and the filter, which could be down to the filter working loose or something like that, or the seal has deteriorated (doubtful). There could be a defect with the unit or if its taken a hit it may also leak. It is screwed up against the oil pump, if this casting is cracked it could also leak from here but it does look like its the oil cooler/heat exchanger. That wet patch on the sump, is that just where its blown off onto the sump?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK in your picture you can see the leaking oil coating the oil-cooler/heat-exchanger unit. It could be leaking from between this unit and the filter, which could be down to the filter working loose or something like that, or the seal has deteriorated (doubtful). There could be a defect with the unit or if its taken a hit it may also leak. It is screwed up against the oil pump, if this casting is cracked it could also leak from here but it does look like its the oil cooler/heat exchanger. That wet patch on the sump, is that just where its blown off onto the sump?
Looks that way yeh, very hard to get access here. With the amount of jolting and bumping it sounds lost likely the filter has worked loose then - it had a full service 3wks ago so whatever it is is new and has happened in last 24hrs or so. Least its not terminal and I've got 5L of spare oil in boot by sheer coincidence.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
This happened to mine, the filter worked loose and oil was dripping out, only when warm though.

See if you can tighten the filter up by hand

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This happened to mine, the filter worked loose and oil was dripping out, only when warm though.

See if you can tighten the filter up by hand
Only tool I've got is a penknife, so when you say by hand is it literally a case of reaching in and twisting something tight?

·
Vendor
45,312 Posts
Yes, reach in and twist it clockwise. Do it when the car is cold, its right near the cats and they get hot!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right - reached in, felt the filter (black, plastic feeling cylinder with round end) and it was very loose - nowhere near "hand tight" so I screwed it tight again (very slightly past hand tight), cleaned the area up, put a litre of oil in and started her up. Unfortunately it is still dripping - maybe 1 drip a minute when at idle and up to temp. I put my phone down and filmed it, and the oil is definitely seeping from the filter seal. Maybe they didn't lubricate it when doing the oil change the other week?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Right - reached in, felt the filter (black, plastic feeling cylinder with round end) and it was very loose - nowhere near "hand tight" so I screwed it tight again (very slightly past hand tight), cleaned the area up, put a litre of oil in and started her up. Unfortunately it is still dripping - maybe 1 drip a minute when at idle and up to temp. I put my phone down and filmed it, and the oil is definitely seeping from the filter seal. Maybe they didn't lubricate it when doing the oil change the other week?
well it'll be well lubricated now! chances are it'll be ok if you can just nip it but but frankly this is the garage's issue now.

[email protected]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts