Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna sort a few niggles out on the car tomorrow - one of which is the mirrors themselves seem loose from the housing. They drop downwards after I adjust them, and vibrate a lot when going over bumpy surfaces. Are they easy to tighten back up, and if so how do I do this?

Thanks for any help :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hmmm...never had just the glass cause a problem , its normally the chocolate-metal hinge mechanism that takes a whack and breaks .
I'm dismantling my own "wobbler" this afternoon , I will take a look at the glass while I'm in there .

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I was wrong, the glass itself is ok, its the whole assemble that keeps drooping down. Tried taking the mirror casing off to have a look inside but chickened out as I didn't want to break it. Any tips?

I'm thinking it could be better to buy a whole new wing mirror.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The structure of mechanism is weak so don`t use brute force, have patience.
Take a hair dryer and heat the mirror glass and let as much heat as possible in behind the glass. See if you can get a screwdriver or similar in between the glass and the motor mechanism while you apply heat. It`s glued together with dubblesided 3M adhesive material. Be carefull not to break the glass. This part easily takes 15 - 30 minutes.
Carefull dismantle two wires for the heated mirror.
Now you see five rusted screws I`m sure. One of them is for the cover. Still with som care you can take the cover off. Drag it outwards.
Now you have access to the plug on the motor assembly. Take it off.
Take a 19mm wrench and put the wires through and see if you can unscrew the supposed moveable part. Again use moderate force.
If you succeed clean the assembly between the moveable- and the solid part. Apply grease or oil and reverse the hole thing.
Maybe you should consider to paint your mirror house at this stage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts