Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to have a look at a 2.0 16v today with a view to buying it, it seems ok but the gearstick can sometimes pull right out in your hand while you're driving. It pushes back in ok and the guy says you get used to it, but is this a common/serious/expensive fault?

F

·
0 Posts
Is it the gear stick or gear knob which comes off? If it's the stick, it'll probably cost you a linkage.. if it's the knob (oohh err..) then the mounting screws may be loose or buggered.

cheers,
A

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the whole gearstick that comes out, would a new linkage be expensive, should I let it put me off? The car's up for 1950 quid with 77k on the clock and a dealer service history up to and including the 60k one.

J

·
0 Posts
its a very simple set up and the stick complete with the mounting plate is only £15 +vat.

C

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. If the cars in this good condition at this price then take it as it can be simply rectified.
A lot of 155's I'v sold have had this little glitch, which you only really notice when pulling back into 2nd & 4th in a hurry.
It can be fixed very very cheaply with little effort.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had another look today, turns out it was only the knob, not the shaft (oo er again), which I believe can just be glued back on.
In fact I've paid my deposit and I pick it up tomorrow, shook on £1800 in the end. I only decided to definitely get a 155 at the weekend and thought it would take weeks to find a good one, lucky me, I hope. Can't wait to take her for a blast this weekend!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts