Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I bought a 2000 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0L TS (manual) a few months ago. Previous owner mentioned that gearbox had been jammed a few times. In the time I have owned this car the gearbox has jammed twice (by jammed, I mean that it has been stuck in a gear, unable to select a gear or unable to select a couple of gears). I previously fixed the jammed gearbox by opening up a large (12mm I think) allen-key plug and using a flathead screwdriver to un-jam the gear selector forks.

Looking for the source of the problem I uncovered this (see image). The three circled bolts in the image that hold this plastic housing to the car are very loose. I believe that this is causing excessive movement in the gearstick (i.e. loose gear lever) and this is transferring through the gear linkages and the selector forks.

Is this a realistic/logical conclusion?

I tried to tighten the bolts, however they would not tighten at all.

Does anyone know the easiest way to access the nuts or access the opposite side of this box? I am hoping that the result of tightening these bolts will be that my gearbox will stop jamming, or at least jam less-often.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
That's my thread over there - I dunno an easier way to access it...

Not a bad job though if you have three arms :lol:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahh I see, oh well I think I have a broken baffle, so I've got to take the exhaust off and replace it anyway. Only problem is I don't have a set of car ramps yet, eBay here I come.

Cheers for the photos you posted in that post, they should help with what I've got to do.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
No problem, I did manage it by myself, but if you get get some assistance, it will prevent a lot of swearing / grazed knuckles ets :lol:

Let us know how ya get on :thumbs:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I've pulled off my exhaust (the front manifold section with the flexipipe and the catalytic converter in pictures) and found that my catalytic converter is cactus, internally the the cat converter is broken into many pieces and is falling out the ends so i'm up for a new/used one of those :S

Just wondering 1of1, when you pulled off the plate (tunnel cover I think you call it?) to access transmission/linkages, etc. Did you have to unclip/detatch the handbrake and the gear linkages? If you did, could you please give me some advice on how you went about this?

Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
From memory, I left the handbrake alone & un-clipped any linkeages using a screwdriver, but I think it dropped while they were still attached...
Was nearly three years ago, memory not what it was :lol:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha fair enough :p cheers.

When you say that you un-clipped any linkages with a screwdriver, was that from the gearstick end or from the gearbox (engine bay) end?

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Gear lever end - balljoint kinda thing IIRC...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts