·
Registered
33,643 Posts
"It's coming home, it's coming home..." :D

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
This could be a first.....

A takeover of a car manufacturer by a buyer who would be interested in actually developing the core values of that marque, rather than just buying up the name to give their own products more credibility while, at the same time, running that marque into the ground.

Let's hope this ends well.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Not sure how it will workout yet. Its not actually Prodrive, but a consortium the boss of Prodrive being part of it, according to the BBC.

Ford look to keep a minority interest so the new owners will have some access to Ford technology which would be vital. I think Aston don't build their own engines??? Tickford make them so what happens there?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Cheers for the link, Ghostydog :)

I think this is great news!

Anything that D.R is involved in, has to be positive.

He done wonders at B.A.R, and they would of been better-off keeping him in charge instead of Honda IMO.

So im hoping Pro-Drive have bought Aston.
And I wish them every success with the marque :p

A

·
0 Posts
Having Ford still involved would be the best news possible,..I had been worried about prodrive being capable of future model developement.It could have been taken by a far east company who would then ship out of UK.
My youngest son works at Gaydon so I've got a personal interest on this.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Dont write pro-drive off, you will be suprised at the company :tut:

And I thought Ford were going to sell the whole lot off, considering how much debt there in ???

Making a Jag from a Mondeo... What were they thinking there, then...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
221 Posts
I see what your saying, I just never been keen on big car companys trying to look after independants.

Stewart/Jag Rac for instance. Bit diffrent, i know, but you cant just bundle money in and expect results without the managment.

What im saying is yes ford's infrastructure is great, but Pro-drive will run it smoother .

A

·
0 Posts
Agreed, although Aston's been doing quite well under Ford (and much better compared to Jag).
The difference being that the car thats caused Jag some of its problems(x type) has never fulfilled its desired sales,whilst Aston can't make the V8s quick enough (literally) even though they are working three shifts.Also the new convertible is stunning and should generate even more orders.
The sad news is that rumour has it that the Newport Pagnell factory is to close.Lets hope this is not true as it is the true home of Aston Martin with irreplacable skill and engineering abilities.:(

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
That's it Alfafamiy, we get a good thing going, superlative products, then it all goes 'PoP'. I loved working on 'Vantage' engines sometimes,years ago, 23 pints of oil in the sump. 13 in the 'E' type Jaguar, have I remembered it correctly? I'm off again!!

A

·
0 Posts
That's it Alfafamiy, we get a good thing going, superlative products, then it all goes 'PoP'. I loved working on 'Vantage' engines sometimes,years ago, 23 pints of oil in the sump. 13 in the 'E' type Jaguar, have I remembered it correctly? I'm off again!!
Not sure about those two ZF but sounds about right. I've got a 74 Daimler Double Six V12 and that takes 19 pints.
All the AM vantage engines had the name of the guy that built it on the cam cover.Quality!

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Does anyone know f the deals been signed now?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
That's right Alfafamily, couple of friends of mine worked at Newport P. Ray Handley was one who put his signature on engines, way back. Anyone got a Vantage engine signed by him? Before V8's were introduced, naturally!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Not sure about those two ZF but sounds about right. I've got a 74 Daimler Double Six V12 and that takes 19 pints.
All the AM vantage engines had the name of the guy that built it on the cam cover.Quality!
Daimler Double-Six..

Im in envy now... :)

Great car, can't be that many left ???

Nothing on the deal yet..

1 - 20 of 45 Posts