Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recent petrol prices and road tax are killing me at the moment...even driving like a granny and making sure all my tyre pressures are correct I'm still only getting 30mpg from my 1.8 MPI. I may have to switch to a 520d...am not a happy camper.

Pete

·
Registered
208 Posts
I changed to 159 diesel because even 156 was drinking petrol ....cheaper and more mpg with latest car

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Sorry to hear this pete. 159s are a rare breed down in Limerick. I wouldn't rule out a 159 JTDm as a replacement for your existing.

·
Registered
208 Posts
:(
Fair point....have you rang around dealers etc?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Recent petrol prices and road tax are killing me at the moment...even driving like a granny and making sure all my tyre pressures are correct I'm still only getting 30mpg from my 1.8 MPI. I may have to switch to a 520d...am not a happy camper.

Pete
You might as well get the 156 or a 166 v6 petrol because im getting around 30ish miles per gallon on my 3.0 166 on city driving(but i don't really care because i love it).
And that will put a smile on your face.:thumbs:

·
Registered
698 Posts
im getting around 30ish miles per gallon on my 3.0 166 on city driving(but i don't really care because i love it).
And that will put a smile on your face.:thumbs:
How are you managing that? In normal (i.e. pretty grim stop/start) traffic in Dublin I can't break 20 mpg in the spider, and that's only the 2.0?

·
Registered
317 Posts

Pete
THat seems pretty bad allright... I just checked my car, I've only had it a day and am driving fairly average but I am getting the low 40's and its a 1.6ts.

I was tempted by a 159 but the 1.8l cars in particular have a poor reputation for the weight of the 159...

·
Registered
698 Posts
In my experience the fuel economy of my alfas has always been pretty dreadful in congested urban traffic, you are better off not measuring it.

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
in my experience the fuel economy of my alfas has always been pretty dreadful in congested urban traffic, you are better off not measuring it.
+1

·
Registered
518 Posts
Drive a 159 2.2 JTS petrol :cool: and get 38mpg to 40mpg on my daily M50 commute BUT thats driving like Ms Daisy at 85kph. But if I drive at the speed limit of 100kph mpg drops to around 34MPG. Around town 25mpg again taking it handy. Dont think it thats bad for a performance saloon would have thought the 1.8MPI would be better again.

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
Drive a 159 2.2 JTS petrol :cool: and get 38mpg to 40mpg on my daily M50 commute BUT thats driving like Ms Daisy at 85kph. But if I drive at the speed limit of 100kph mpg drops to around 34MPG. Around town 25mpg again taking it handy. Dont think it thats bad for a performance saloon would have thought the 1.8MPI would be better again.
Might not be as simple as that.
I've heard that the 1.8 is underpowered....

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
I had always got 20ish mles per Gallooon on the V6 but ever since the exhaust was renewed its up to 32ish on long runs and even if you really drive it at 100KPH it still returns a healthy 20 mph , so its probably the wieght of the 159 mated to a 1.8 JTS

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
I had always got 20ish mles per Gallooon on the V6 but ever since the exhaust was renewed its up to 32ish on long runs and even if you really drive it at 100KPH it still returns a healthy 20 mph , so its probably the wieght of the 159 mated to a 1.8 JTS
So we're in agreement? (Gets out calendar to mark the date.... :D)

·
Registered
11 Posts
1.9 JTS does about 26 mpg avg mostly back roads and short runs but experts say there is enough fuel to last at least 50 years so that'll do me then. No Worries. Don't sell it enjoy it petrol is still cheaper than beer after all.:cheese:

·
Registered
208 Posts
1.9 JTS does about 26 mpg avg mostly back roads and short runs but experts say there is enough fuel to last at least 50 years :thumbs:so that'll do me then. No Worries. Don't sell it enjoy it petrol is still cheaper than beer after all.:cheese:
:cheese:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts