Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Can anyone offer any advice on buying front and rear brake discs with pads online please? I have a 156 ts 1.8. Was originally a 1.6 but upgraded after enginefailure (not sure if this makes a difference) Looking buy good quality brakes without paying through the nose.

Noticed when breaking a grinding noise coming from the rear of the car. Figure I may as well replace the whole lot; breaks have been a bit dodgy for a while.

Is there anything else that might need replacing? My mechanical skills are non existent, so will pay a mechanic to fit them. Would I be correct to assume this would be the cheapest method rather than getting a garage to supply and fit?

Many thanks

D

·
0 Posts
Lots of threads on here on this subject. Do you actually need discs as well as pads ?
Car Parts and Car Accessories - Buy Parts By
Try the above under brake parts not under their ebc section other wise try ebspares/alfaworkshop/alternative autos.
I suspect buying separately will be cheaper then paying someone to fit

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i assume the rear discs will need doing considering the awful gringing noise when braking. Thanks for the link. Is there anything that might be damaged?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi dont Know where you are but have used thes guys

Car Brakes | We stock, Discs, Shoes, Calipers & More! I have also X checked price with Eurocarparts as they can be quite reasonable.

Generaly i just use my local auto dealer guy doesent do online though.

I replaced the rear bearings at the same time, you need a tool to wind in the pistons on the calipers at the back, it is possible without but not easy.

Dont go for ultra high performance pads as they are rubbish in the cold weather and snow, and will give you a pair of shreddies which will require washing more than once.

D

·
0 Posts
Just from grinding noise ? Might well just be low pads.
If you have alloys you might be able to see through to disc to do a quick visible/touch check of discs.

If you can get a finger through to disc you might be able to feel wether there is a lip on the disc. If not you might need to take wheel off.

There is a minimum thickness that discs can be but dont have it to hand at the mo

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Just from grinding noise ? Might well just be low pads.
If you have alloys you might be able to see through to disc to do a quick visible/touch check of discs.

If you can get a finger through to disc you might be able to feel wether there is a lip on the disc. If not you might need to take wheel off.

There is a minimum thickness that discs can be but dont have it to hand at the mo
Got mine from BuyPartsBy as well. Good, quick service. Just over £100 for a complete set of disks and pads.

I've also used brakeparts.co.uk in the past. I found them fine as well, although I've heard of others who haven't

There are a couple of types of pads, and connectors for the wear indicators. You might need to take one of yours off to match it with the ones you're ordering.

Cheers,

Iain

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One of the rear discs ( where the noise comes from) has a lip, and looks and feels shredded. The prices online seem quite reasonable. Bit confused whether to select 1.8 or 1.6 on the menu. Was originally a 1.6 but upgraded
Im based in Kent by the way
Cheers fella's:thumbs:

D

·
0 Posts
Did you do the engine conversion? If so were discs/calipers changed at that time.
Some of the 1.6s had solid discs at the front but others had vented discs I think the age of the car determines change point. I also thought that most has the same rear discs but maybe that saloons only.
Give them a call they normally can tell from you registration number

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I has the engine conversion done at auto lusso. The discs/calipers where def not changed. Logic would tell me to go for the 1.6 breaks i guess. Will take your advise and call them
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
766 Posts
Hi all

Can anyone offer any advice on buying front and rear brake discs with pads online please? I have a 156 ts 1.8. Was originally a 1.6 but upgraded after enginefailure (not sure if this makes a difference) Looking buy good quality brakes without paying through the nose.

Noticed when breaking a grinding noise coming from the rear of the car. Figure I may as well replace the whole lot; breaks have been a bit dodgy for a while.

Is there anything else that might need replacing? My mechanical skills are non existent, so will pay a mechanic to fit them. Would I be correct to assume this would be the cheapest method rather than getting a garage to supply and fit?

Many thanks
Try www.brakepartsuperstore.co.uk They had front and rear Discs and Pads from Mintex. Had the lot delivered for £155.00

1 - 12 of 12 Posts