Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys looking to purchase a Giuletta but unsure whether to get the 2.0 litre diesel or 1.8 litre petrol. Does anyone have any advice? Or their own views on them. Be grateful for any advice you guys could offer and anything to look for in a second hand one. These are the two models ive been looking at.
Alfa Romeo Giulietta 2.0 JTDM-2 170 Veloce 5dr
Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.8 TBi Cloverleaf 5dr
Looking forward to joining the Alfa club.
Many Thanks Dan

·
Registered
38,691 Posts
I suppose it really depends on how fast you like to go and how much fuel you can afford.

The 170 diesel is still reasonably quick and can average nearly 50mpg.

Obviously the QV is quite a bit faster again, but you are going to get around 30mpg at best, and a lot less if you drive it hard...

Both are very reliable with only a few known niggles.

The 1.4 MA is also a good engine and definitely worth a look, it is similar in performance to the 170 Diesel and being a bit lighter up front that the other two handles a bit better.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I was initially planning on getting the 170 diesel but I couldn't find any that I liked the look of, compared to the Cloverleaf they didn't quite do it for me. Not just exterior wise, ideally I wanted the full leather interior and there were very few I could find. After having a Wizard exhaust on my MiTo I didn't think I would ever be happy with the noise from a diesel either.

So I bought a white Cloverleaf with red leather, £10k for a 61 plate with 40k miles and I love it. I'm only getting about 30mpg but I don't do enough miles for that to be a big enough issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there! Forgive the thread hijack, if that's OK? (I'm a newbie here and this is my first post here.) Because my questions were related to the ones in this thread, I thought I'd ask them here instead of starting a new thread.

I'm looking for a hot hatch with rear doors- first baby on way! Understandably, my wife wants a say in what we buy and we both like the idea of a Giulietta Cloverleaf at 2011-12 vintage for about £11-13k.

However, it's hard to find a Used Buyer's Guide. Are there particular things to look out for if I'm poking around cars? (Feel free to point me to a link if I've missed an obvious one.)

Should I be that worried about turbo failures? (When I look up failure stories they all seem to relate to a single alfaowner forum user's unfortunate experience of multiple failures in his car.) Is it just an often told and retold single story, or are there multiple experiences with turbos going pop in unmodified cars? (Presumably if it's a Borg Warner K04, it can't be that chocolate-like unless it's oil starved?)

Thanks for tolerating a newbie's questions. :)

EDIT: And is there any data on GQV ground clearance/approach angles? I've got an awkaward dip coming out of my driveway and it'd be a shame to damage such a pretty chin!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hey guys looking to purchase a Giuletta but unsure whether to get the 2.0 litre diesel or 1.8 litre petrol. Does anyone have any advice? Or their own views on them. Be grateful for any advice you guys could offer and anything to look for in a second hand one. These are the two models ive been looking at.
Alfa Romeo Giulietta 2.0 JTDM-2 170 Veloce 5dr
Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.8 TBi Cloverleaf 5dr
Looking forward to joining the Alfa club.
Many Thanks Dan
Depends on your driving style. If you are doing huge milage and or enjoy near instant torque down low, or just like to accelerate hard without needing to rev much, then the diesel is the clear choice, not to mention the amazing economy one can get even while pushing the car hard.

If you want ultimate fun power and acceleration and a much better engine note, the Clover leaf will suit nicely. Be aware though the performance comes at the price of economy, and no matter how efficient you drive the clover leaf, it will not get even close to the economy of the JTDm.

·
Registered
224 Posts

Should I be that worried about turbo failures? (When I look up failure stories they all seem to relate to a single alfaowner forum user's unfortunate experience of multiple failures in his car.) Is it just an often told and retold single story, or are there multiple experiences with turbos going pop in unmodified cars? (Presumably if it's a Borg Warner K04, it can't be that chocolate-like unless it's oil starved?)

Thanks for tolerating a newbie's questions. :)

EDIT: And is there any data on GQV ground clearance/approach angles? I've got an awkaward dip coming out of my driveway and it'd be a shame to damage such a pretty chin!
Not sure about turbo failures, but I would imagine there is an electric pump and maybe a fan that would engage to cool the turbo after the engine is powered off.

My GQV TCT does badly and scrapes on driveways with awkward approach angles, as the front end over hangs past the front wheels and the GQV comes with sports lowered suspension. You can either get your driveway fixed to reduce the approach angle, or consider non QV Giulietta.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can either get your driveway fixed to reduce the approach angle, or consider non QV Giulietta.
I was afraid someone would say that. Since fixing the driveway is unlikely to be less than 4 figures/ a lot of council trouble, that pretty much blows it out of the water. :(

Ah well, thanks for your help and enjoy your GQV. I'll just have to keep looking at them. :(

·
Registered
260 Posts
I was afraid someone would say that. Since fixing the driveway is unlikely to be less than 4 figures/ a lot of council trouble, that pretty much blows it out of the water. :(

Ah well, thanks for your help and enjoy your GQV. I'll just have to keep looking at them. :(
They're only lowered by 15mm compared to the normal G as far as I'm aware. I've not had any issues with mine. Probably best seeing if you can get a decent test drive in one and just try it on your drive.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Can't u test drive one to yr home, to see if it scrapes on drive?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Guys if you after a Cloverleaf my 2011 61 plate in white with 30k on it may be coming up for sale soon

It has every option on it (7ks worth) bar the panoramic sunroof and even has the bilstein suspension (much better than standard) and eibach springs and even has the deeper side skirts and other bits

If your interested send me a pm

btw Bleary, all is not lost. The eibach springs like on mine mean the front doesn't bottom out as much and speed bumps where I would bottom out are a thing of the past

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Guys thanks for the replies. Went to see a cloverleaf and fell in love so put a deposit down and I'm picking it up Sunday! Can't wait ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks all. Checked a TCT Cloverleaf against my Octavia VRS and bizzarely the GQV has a bigger approach angle than my (unmodified!) car.

I think this'll work! Now I just have to find a car and see if Blearyeyedgirl will like one too... :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Guys thanks for the replies. Went to see a cloverleaf and fell in love so put a deposit down and I'm picking it up Sunday! Can't wait ?
Congrats! Good choice, are you getting the Cloverleaf with TCT? Also what color is it?
No I'm not. It's a 60 reg with 57000 on the clock it's in white can't wait now! Added a couple of pics from the add!

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts