Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am a newbie so apologies if I am barking up the wrong tree here

I am looking to buy my 1st classic car (and 1st Alfa) and I am have settled on a spider, I have up to 5K to spend and cannot find a better looking car for this money.

However I am new to owning Classics and new to Spiders.

Can any give me some advice to what I should be looking out for so I don't buy a shed, i'm not expecting anywhere near perfect for 5K but want something I can enjoy on the odd weekend we get good weather over the summer

Thanks in advance .

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Hi Robin - welcome to the forum and I have to say good choice: For £5k you might struggle to get a good one, however there are series 3's out there that should fit the bill if you look hard enough,
Best thing to do is to go and have a look at as many as you can including ones outside your price range so you get an idea of what you can expect, also depending where you live? there will be an owner here who will be happy to help face to face
buy the best you can afford, as you are new to classics there are many pitfalls with old Alfa's, namely rust - you need to be able to spot which are genuine motors and which are "blow overs"
Have a look at the calendar one this forum and go along to one of the meets - you will find lots of people willing to help.
How's your car DIY skills - you will need a basic knowledge and you will certainly learn a lot when you get one
Whatever you do don't go buy the first you see - get as much advice as you can especially as you will be buying close to the bottom end of the market
Good luck

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,492 Posts
Robin, welocome to the forum. Joe speaks wise words so I wont repeat what he has already said.one easy route to fast track you to Spider knowledge is a book called The Essential buyers guide - Alfa Romeo Spider. It is writen by Keith Booker & Jim Talbot by Veloce publishing, its worth a read.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Can I suggest you don't buy one?
I was in a similar position around 3 years ago. After a lot of thinking instead of buying a classic Spider I bought a 916 (see avatar picture). For 5k you should be able to buy a really good example, you shouldn't even need to spend that much, could even get you a V6. Look at it as a 'modern classic', because it is. I've had no regrets at all buying one and it felt something special everytime I got in it. I've never seen another one in the area (east Yorkshire) in 3 years, apart from at meet-ups, they are definitely a rare thing.

I have (unusually for me) been patient in waiting for the finances to work as I realised getting a classic spider at the standard I wanted would mean doubling the budget at least. I have just changed the 916 for an original unmolested and rot free series 3.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Can I suggest you don't buy one?
I was in a similar position around 3 years ago. After a lot of thinking instead of buying a classic Spider I bought a 916 (see avatar picture). For 5k you should be able to buy a really good example
I sorta have a feeling the OP is in the States (he had the same post on BB)........and the 916 never got out that far (apart from a few private imports)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I sorta have a feeling the OP is in the States (he had the same post on BB)........and the 916 never got out that far (apart from a few private imports)
That puts a different spin on it. Though my experience for entry into AR ownership for a classic, or what I'd term cherished - the 916 - worked well for me.

Not sure where the 2x 156 SW along the way fit into it, but #1 was my first Alfa.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
over on the BB I pointed out this quite smart S4 to him........for 3000 quid, looks the bargain of the month, as it is a straightforward very good looking basis, that runs well, albeit needs some work to paint clearcoat etc.

5000 $ will not get him a classic S2, that is for sure, at least not one that doesn't need major work.

For Sale 1993 Alfa Spider Veloce - SF Bay Area - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I have seen a few 916 Spiders with almost the same need for rust removal as a S3 in the £5k price bracket but it is a good suggestion. No matter what you buy it is buyer beware. If he is in the states then it's a moot point.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I have seen a few 916 Spiders with almost the same need for rust removal as a S3 in the £5k price bracket but it is a good suggestion. No matter what you buy it is buyer beware. If he is in the states then it's a moot point.
Think we must have put him off ........

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi All,

Many thanks for the advice. You have not put me off, I am aware that £5K is not a very big budget but I am willing to put some work in, I just need to know hat to look out for I guess.
I am in the UK, I posted on the BB site not realising it was American.

Maestro torta, I appreciate everything you have said and I have had the same idea but every time my sensible side tells me that is what I should buy the rest of me says shut up buy a spider.

I am based in Stamford, Lincs (between Peterborough & Rutland)

I will have a look for a meet and get along to that.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I think you should be looking at a S3 for that sort of money - you really must get a rot free one otherwise it can be a bottomless pit, Spider prices are starting to rise but even so don't rush it - good luck - if you find any post the ads up here and we will cast our eyes over it

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
I really can't see one getting a rot free spider for 5k

just looking at carandclassic with those parameters brings up one full restoration S2 project.
Autotrader brings up nothing.
ebay brings up 2 sad cases, an S2 full resto project and an S3 cat d insurance car, with the front spoiler rusting off.

tbh, your best bet is to save some more and not get impatient to have one right now, with say 8-9k you will find one that has been cared for.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I may be tempted to sell my S4 as it's just not been used that much lately. PM me if you'd like some pictures.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,492 Posts
It'll be a question of how much rust is causing the blistering. Try and get it on a ramp and have a GOOD look around. Its a good idea to take a third party with you who can look at it with your excitement!
Did you buy that book I recommended?

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Vintage Alfa is quite well known in the Alfa circles and I've not heard anything bad about him, that looks like a good place to start - recommissioning usually means overhauling the brake system at a bare minimum, start it and let it warm thoroughly then check oil pressure, gearbox, leaks etc - see if it has any advisories on the old MoT - he is a dealer so you do have some protection as he claims it is very solid with no rust holes. When you get the VIN and old MoT you can check its history quite well - good luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts