Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Im new in this forum and if i break any rules please apologize me !

Im looking to buy Alfa Romeo 2.4 JTDM 2007 ( 200 ps ), but i drive mostly in city and short short directions.. so im interesed on economy little bit! how many liters per 100km can consume the 2.4 JTDM without remap egr blocked and dpf removed, and how many when remaped egr blocked and dpf removed... and what should i look for before buying does the 2.4 have any other problems??

Apologize me for bad english

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hello Gdeer,

For short journeys I would advise against a 2.4, the engine simply won't work effeciently to warrant it. If you have your heart set on a 159, go for one of the petrol models: 2.2, 1.8, 3.2 V6

You'll end up getting about the same MPG/ KM/L out of it.

If you plan on doing a couple of longer journeys on a weekly basis the 2.4 MIGHT work out for you. But in this instance, I think a petrol would be better for you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for advise, the problem is that i find this 2.4 for the cheap price one my country about 6000€, to import is problem because we have high price of costums and in my country they all drive german cars, i dont have much options to choose. i wanna read more replys from alfa 159 2.4 owners how is to live with it?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I use mine for short journeys to work, I get on average 28 - 30mpg, egr has been deleted and has had a new (de-swirled) inlet manifold which has helped, still has DPF and has not been re-mapped.

DPF used to regen once every 2 weeks = lots of smoke and a nasty smell, also looks crap while sat in traffic, it's not as frequent now since the new inlet was put in.

Some of the guys on here get similar figures from their petrols! I hope that helps :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have the 2.4 jtdm and I can tell you that the car really does not like city and/or short runs. It can do them occasionally, but it feels sluggish and slow after a few days and really needs to run longer distances to feel happy and a bit sportier. Needless to say, I drive almost 30'000 km a year of which 80% or more is highway - and that's how I make up for having the 2.4. I would NOT recommend it to anyone driving short distances and city driving (especially not the manual one).

Go for petrol and leave the diesel warrior for the highway ;)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I've had a Brera 2.4 for 5 yrs now, pretty much bought it for looks and didn't think about how it would handle my (then) short commute to work. In a nutshell it didn't, now my commute is 60miles per day round trip and both me and the car love it. Like the others say, get the petrol or fuel it with high octane derv, but don't expect anything near 30mpg

·
Registered
59 Posts
Couldn't agree more with the comments above.

I have a very big commute. On the dual carriageway/50/60mph roads (read, when it's at operating temperature and can stretch it's legs) it's great and the fuel economy is ok for a 7 year old car/technology too.

Around the city though (at either end of my commute) it's awful. It feels like a heavy car with a big engine. The economy tanks and it just feels like overkill in stop-start traffic. By the time I'm out of my city, my car has just about warmed up. Until then, it just seems fuel rich, and holds gears longer than necessary (automatic).

If you're only short tripping, get a petrol. I'm EGR blocked, no DPF and get around 46mpg (brim to brim calculation, 49 on the computer).

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yes I had the 2.4 and sold it as simply wasn't doing the mileage and that engine is designed to be run.....great unit...if a bit...heavy

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Couldn't agree more with the comments above.

I have a very big commute. On the dual carriageway/50/60mph roads (read, when it's at operating temperature and can stretch it's legs) it's great and the fuel economy is ok for a 7 year old car/technology too.

Around the city though (at either end of my commute) it's awful. It feels like a heavy car with a big engine. The economy tanks and it just feels like overkill in stop-start traffic. By the time I'm out of my city, my car has just about warmed up. Until then, it just seems fuel rich, and holds gears longer than necessary (automatic).

If you're only short tripping, get a petrol. I'm EGR blocked, no DPF and get around 46mpg (brim to brim calculation, 49 on the computer).
Sums up my experience perfectly (my car is similar, egr/dpf blank/delete and a map). If anything you're getting better mpg than me - my last brim to brim on a run back from Glasgow to York (started at rush hour in the city, was fairly "brisk" on the motorway, and then a fair bit of stop start in roadworks) and managed 40 (46.6 on the computer). It'll do c. 3-5 mpg better if I'm a bit more circumspect on the motorway ;).

Not a car I'd use for day to day city commutes, but a fantastic motorway cruiser.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah thanks, but why is petrol better around city than diesel?? i dont have much choise here to buy petrol alfa or any other, because all people here have and sell german cars!:S

·
Registered
771 Posts
I use my 2.4 Qtronic for mainly very short journals around town. It goes great, but shocking MPG if you care. I have DPF removed, which is a necessary step.
The 2.4 is the best sounding diesel (5 cyl) and the best looking (twin exhaust).

·
Registered
3 Posts
choice between 2,2i and 2,4 jtdm

Hi,

i'll buy a second hand brera, i have the choise between 2,4TD (120000) or 2,2i (150000). The twice at about the same price. I cheked them them seem good and ride perfectly.But in Europe, diesel is cheaper, i'll do 80 km per day. Which one to choice ? Perhaps, buy the 2,2i and put LPG on it.
What do you think about that ?
Thanks.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Greetings,

Im new in this forum and if i break any rules please apologize me !

Im looking to buy Alfa Romeo 2.4 JTDM 2007 ( 200 ps ), but i drive mostly in city and short short directions.. so im interesed on economy little bit! how many liters per 100km can consume the 2.4 JTDM without remap egr blocked and dpf removed, and how many when remaped egr blocked and dpf removed... and what should i look for before buying does the 2.4 have any other problems??

Apologize me for bad english
I would definately advise against the 2.4 in this situation. The fuel economy will be dire. Expect around 25-30 mpg. If you keep the DPF it won't be long before you have issues. I have the 2.4 automatic and love it. My commute is just about long enough (20 miles each way) with no town runs which helps. Until the car gets warmed up the economy is rubbish. Over the 20 mile commute I get around 40mpg which I'm happy with. If you buy this car and it has lived in a city previously expect the following issues:
  • DPF Blocking
  • EGR Malfunction
  • Swirl Flaps leaking creating a less than satisfactory idle and poor economy
  • Suspension bushes may need attention
  • Tyre wear could be an issue depending on model type.
  • If it's a manual the DMF and clutch can play up.
  • If it's an auto the gearbox will need an oil flush
I had more problems than these but I knew what I was buying, accepted it and purchased for a price which reflected the condition. I've spent a lot of money improving things and the car now runs a peach with perfectly acceptable fuel economy and both myself and my family just love it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you buy this car and it has lived in a city previously expect the following issues:
[*]If it's a manual the DMF and clutch can play up.
[/LIST]

I had more problems than these but I knew what I was buying, accepted it and purchased for a price which reflected the condition. I've spent a lot of money improving things and the car now runs a peach with perfectly acceptable fuel economy and both myself and my family just love it.
just/ wondering what you mean by this? as i had my clutch done the other day and i got it back with the engine management light on with a dpf fault?
i also do a lot of town driving in my 2.4 and rarely get about 30mpg, although i dont agree that it feels sluggish or heavy in such towns, I love my Brera wherever she is :cool:

·
Registered
353 Posts
just/ wondering what you mean by this? as i had my clutch done the other day and i got it back with the engine management light on with a dpf fault?
i also do a lot of town driving in my 2.4 and rarely get about 30mpg, although i dont agree that it feels sluggish or heavy in such towns, I love my Brera wherever she is :cool:
The DMF Dual mass flywheel would probably have been changed with your clutch and is unrelated to the dpf diesel particulate filter. It's probably coincidence that this has happened unless the mechanic has left a lead disconnected somewhere?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you, im confused i love the 159 but..
What you think if i do all those improvements like you i will get better mpg. I think driving this is the same thing like driving bmw 330d around city or c class the fuel economy will be the same..
@quinnj3

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I use my 2.4 Qtronic for mainly very short journals around town. It goes great, but shocking MPG if you care. I have DPF removed, which is a necessary step.
The 2.4 is the best sounding diesel (5 cyl) and the best looking (twin exhaust).
And how much mpg you get around the town? I think with manual i will get more

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thank you, im confused i love the 159 but..
What you think if i do all those improvements like you i will get better mpg. I think driving this is the same thing like driving bmw 330d around city or c class the fuel economy will be the same..
@quinnj3
Driving a big dirty diesel around town causes the engine to coke up as it's spending a lot of its time not properly warmed up, idling and low gear low rpm driving. The alfa engine is renowned for being especially dirty which causes the egr, inlet manifold and dpf to coke up as well. Even if you sort these things when you buy the car there is a good chance they will pop up again in a relatively short time due to your driving conditions as described previously. If it were me, I would put my money into the petrol version. You might still have suspension bushing issues, uneven tyre wear and possibly even the normal gear box issues but you most definitely won't have the issues with the dpf, inlet manifold or egr valves. These things are a huge headache to diesel engine owners of all marques and well worth while avoiding if you can.

Good luck in whatever option you choose, you will enjoy the Alfa regardless of it's faults.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts