Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Currently im an owner of a FIAT stilo 1.8 petrol dynamic...its been my loyal steed for almost 3 years now. its bright red and has a lush tan leather interior... sadly "spirited" driving on the 1.8 lump is not frugal, and the Stilo lacks in rear legroom and boot space

Im under the impression that the GT (being based on the 156 platform) will have slightly more (all that's needed) legroom. and i have already seen the boot is more than ample

My budget is 4-5k can stretch to 5-6 for the "perfect" car

My mum has recently got a 159 2.4jtdm, and wow what a lovely car.
Sadly we bought it from veloces of north london (who maintianed the car for its whole life) and we've had no end of niggly issues (dead batter, filters that look like theyve never been changed, oil that resembles treacle, unbalanced wheels, brake lines rubbing on the inside of wheels etc etc) but thats for another thread. Now after some TLC from me, the car is like a rocket ship :D

I want to buy a GT with the aim of getting it re-mapped and some light tuning (decat?, induction?) to get it to "feel" like the oomph the 159 has.

I have driven a stilo with the same(?) 1.9JTDM lump in it and it feels quickkk, so i know the GT should have a good starting point.

Ill be selling up/buying in january/feburary

Ive been digging around the forum a fair bit, i just want some input from you people in the know, as to what i can expect to be buying for that kind of price range, the plausibility of my goal and any general GT pitfalls i should be weary of?

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I have only just bought mine. Looks lovely in Nero Metallic and grey leather. Goes quite well.
I need a new key fob (only came with one) I would advise you make sure you get two as a replacement will most likely have to come from Alfa at about £250.
I think I may need a turbo hose (or it just tightening) at about £50-£80 depending on which one.
A blanking plate on the bumper was missing that has been replaced by the previous owner but it seems there is more to the £25 (inc postage) black plastic plate as it needs a clip of some sort :lol:

I do like this Alfa but bought it because I have a '97 Spider 2.0TS which is addictive. The GT looks nice but sounds like the proverbial tractor (economy looks promising I think)..

Lastly I put £86 in the tank last night to fill it up. My F355 has only ever taken £80 :lol: Mind you I suspect I will get four times the distance in the GT :lol:

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Think you may struggle with 4-5k price range unless you find a really high mile'r
Look for cambelt/waterpump change ...personally i view it as needed every 50k miles, to be on safe side.
take a look at wheel sizes ...16/17/18 available ....i couldn't have anything less that 18, just look too small for my liking. Leather is great option and very comfy and hard wearing.
Standard stereo is pants, but easily changeable for a decent alpine etc.
popular one heading into winter ....look for corroding oil pipes (do a search on here)
EGR valve issues -again reasonably easy to sort

hope that helps. Great cars and easily remapped.

G

·
0 Posts
Think you may struggle with 4-5k price range unless you find a really high mile'r
Agree entirely. A very high miler or as mentioned a cat D at best. Even with the top end of your budget £6k you will have to hunt around. As an example I was looking for one a few weeks back and eventually got myself a 55 plate with 49k on the clock, leather and 18" alloys, FSH inc. cambelt, 2 keys for £6.5k (price included a remap) but I still have a fair few quid I need to spend on it to get it up to scratch i.e a dint needs sorting, a suspension arm and a new stereo. I had to tax it as well for the year. It will be a lovely example once finished though and one I shouldn't have any problems fetching £6.8k - 7k for which I think is the sort of price you should be looking if you want a sorted example with decent mileage

You could easily get a 2.0 JTS in your budget. I was tempted and had my offer of £5k accepted for a grey 2005 with red leather. I was then going to spend a further grand on it getting bluetooth, remap, induction, full sports exhaust. I went for the 1.9 in the end though as needed the extra mpg after just coming out of a 159 3.2

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
found plenty on auto trader between 4-6...so im not "short of choice"..and im willing to travel

What kind of mileage are these things good for ?? (by good i mean still full of life and ok to remap)

Thanks for the tips (this'll be my first diesel).
ill be sure to llok for cambelt, or factor it into the price.
I'm familiar with EGR woes....pops up loads on fiatforum.com (my previous home lol)

dont worry bout the stereo, another reason for the GT is its the only car that fits the bill with a double din dash hole...and that means only one thing to me....car PC (already running it good in the stilo)

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
^ just read your report on veloces. They don't sound too good.

(with double din ...I think there is a bar running across the middle ...so would need to be cut -just a heads up)

G

·
0 Posts
found plenty on auto trader between 4-6...so im not "short of choice"..and im willing to travel

Just be prepared you may have to spend a few quid on it besides the remap at that sort of price. I was hoping not with my recent purchase but deep down I knew I would have to. Good luck with the search. I personally don't think there is a better car available for that sort of money. Looks, performance, practicality. It has the lot (would prefer a 3.2 V6 mind :lol:)

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
As far as rear leg room goes, mine is fine for myself and my 3 mates, all on the erm, rotund side of build (them, not me obviously....). Two of them fit well in the rear for journeys upto an hour, anything longer and the rear leg room becomes an ache.
But my two boys, aged 10 and 12 are no problem at all. They have sat there quite happy and comfy for hours on end.

The 1.9jtdm is a great unit in all ways apart from the clattering racket it makes. But as its a diesel that can't really be helped this side of a BMW 3 litre lump!
It is readily eager to accept and use the extra power some gentle fettling gives it, I'm thinking of this myself after xmas.

As for buying, see loads and buy the best you can afford.

Bose is pretty good, I'm happy with this in mine, added an ipod adaptor and all is good.

The larger the wheel the more the bumps and ruts will shout at you on the useless roads this nation generally offers. But find the right stretch of smooth A road and you will soon forgive!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^ just read your report on veloces. They don't sound too good.

(with double din ...I think there is a bar running across the middle ...so would need to be cut -just a heads up)
Nope, thoroughly disappointing...

Don't mind a bit of grinding/cutting, its only a screen that goes in the dash (isn't there a GT version with connect nav+ installed??) so its quite shallow, the PC would go in the boot (currently in the stilo's lower glove-box)

Just be prepared you may have to spend a few quid on it besides the remap at that sort of price. I was hoping not with my recent purchase but deep down I knew I would have to. Good luck with the search. I personally don't think there is a better car available for that sort of money. Looks, performance, practicality. It has the lot (would prefer a 3.2 V6 mind :lol:)
Yeah i would be expecting to spend a bit on it in over a year or so to get it perfect (would do the majority of work myself), just need to sell the stilo on before it hits 60k... that's when it depreciates a load, so that's my time marker...and the remap, as any sensible person would do, is only getting done once everything else is in order...yeah id want the 3.2 aswell...but insurance (only 22 :D ) and running costs would paralyse me

what's the real deal on rear legroom btw?? ive read some mixed reviews (want to go sit in one, but feel allergic to voloces lol)

G

·
0 Posts
what's the real deal on rear legroom btw?? ive read some mixed reviews (want to go sit in one, but feel allergic to voloces lol)
Sound. My 13 year old sits in it with no issues, long or short journies and I often take my mates to football practice/matches and they moan about having to climb in but they moan about anything to be fair :lol:

I've also got a baby/toddler thing and have no issues get her in and out of her car seat

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
It is Evels car. Looks great in the pictures, but you should see it for real, total shed........:lol: No, seriously it is actually a great advert for the way in which these cars can look and drive after a few years. I think the GT is the magazine is a 54 plate, so one of the first run, and it looks fantastic. But that is down to the fact that it has been well looked after and maintained properly.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts