Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Relatively new to the forums, I bought a 2.0 TS a few months back and I do love it but I think I'm going to go for the more economical 2.4 JTD to replace it..

I looked at a 2.4 JTD today and it looks really nice, looks well looked after etc.

The car has a good service history, cambelt about 30k ago with water pump, brand new aux belt and so on...

Took the car for a test drive and it drives really well, I'm used to diesels as my 2.0 TS was my first petrol :thumbs: the only issue I've got is it seems quite noisy on idle, is this normal? Or a known issue on the 2.4JTD?

Basically, it's a bit noisy/ tractory even for a diesel, and as soon as you just touch the accelerator it sounds perfectly fine.

It's a Lusso 1999 V reg, so am I looking at the 136bhp or 140? Parkers says the only versions in Lusso trim are 140 and 150... is this the case? And whats the main difference?

Any guidance would be great! Many thanks :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
If the engine cover is all silver its a 136. black and siver a 140 which is a better engine and turbo. but if i was you i would look for a 150 which is alittle more powerful. ive got the 150 and it drives like a dream.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay I'm pretty sure its the 140 then cause I'm certain its the black and silver engine cover.

As far as i was aware, the 140 and 150 are the same bar engine mapping? celtic tuning quote 201 bhp for both 140 and 150 variants.

How about the noisy idle?? Is that normal? It's due a service and oil change so would that help?

·
Vendor
45,307 Posts
1999 V reg is definitely the 136bhp version, the 140bhp version didn't come out until around March 2001 in the UK. I had an X registered 136bhp model, reg'd January 2001.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
296 Posts
This thread is so uncanny. My other half has fallen in love with driving my 2.5 V6. In fact I rarely get a look in now.

We also have a Fiat Sedici 1.9JTD 4x4. It has the 120bhp Fiat/Alfa lump. It is a fine commuter car but I miss the 156.

I would love to sell/swap it for a 156 but in my mind it would have to be the 2.4JTD. Obviously the servicing on the V6 is high, is the 2.4JTD stupidly high to maintain? I could live with it if it equalled the V6 as I do a lot of work myself.

I have been in between as the Fiat has been super reliable, only requiring an alternator (under warranty) since I have had it from new. 65k on it the DPF is 18% full and runs like a dream but just isn't me.

Should I get the 2.4JTD? Are they 5 or 6 speed as both the Fiat and Alfa are 6 speed which is lovely when you move between them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1999 V reg is definitely the 136bhp version, the 140bhp version didn't come out until around March 2001 in the UK. I had an X registered 136bhp model, reg'd January 2001.
Oh okay, so the engine cover makes no difference then?

People say get the 140/150 versions but is the 136 really that bad?

·
Registered
231 Posts
The 136 is still a good car i think the main differances is the turbo and injectors. Most diesel cars are noisey when cold but should get better as they warm up.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand they are generally noisy, apart from my 2.0 ts ive exclusively had diesels, this one seems noisy more so than my previous diesels. all I was wondering is this a trait of the engine or more likely a fault?

K

·
0 Posts
I'd love the 175 bhp one but the insurance is really heavy at my age (21)

I'm suffering already at the hands of the 2.0 ts!
never thought about the insurance sid eof things, is it a lot more than the ts?

costs me about £230 a year fully comp. but then i'm past 40 now, got to be some advantages to age :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Noise on idle, mine sounded very uneven when my alternator blew if that helps. Mine also sounds loud outside the car but quiet inside. I have a 136 too and have no probs with its speed n handling, used to have v8 4 ltr jag and on lower speeds cant tell em apart

·
Registered
214 Posts
they are quite loud from the outside, but thats not a bad thing, i mean you could run around in a vauxhall astra diesel ;) but theres no fun in that.
From the inside its fairly muted, it is a 2.4 5 cylinder so its not really meant to be quiet.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When listening to the engine bay it did sound like the alternator was clattering, that was my first guess. Until I read about the oil pump being noisier than in the 140/150 models?

I'm struggling to believe the difference in insurance group! When being quoted, they want an extra £49.50 for the 2.4 JTD over my 2.0TS? And this is for 5 months left remaining!

Apparently, the 2.0TS is in group 27, and the 2.4JTD is in group 32.. which amazes me seen as how my TS is 150 and the one I'm after is 136...

Thanks for all the responses so far.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Have you considered a 1.9 150? It's lighter, more economical and it remaps to 185hp with a £50 box which is ample to ruin your tyres quickly. Also it's group 28 which is the same as the TS. Celtic have it up to 212 hp after mapping.

I'm near Crewe if you want me to take you out in mine. Anyway, you can get a nearly new one for 4k:
Used ALFA ROMEO 156 1.9L Car for Sale - Auto Trader UK
or a well driven facelift for £3500:
Alfa Romeo 156 1.9 JTD 16v Multijet [150] Veloce 4dr CALL 01454 261063 2005

I reposted your link on my facebook btw Kev ;)

Nick

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you considered a 1.9 150? It's lighter, more economical and it remaps to 185hp with a £50 box which is ample to ruin your tyres quickly. Also it's group 28 which is the same as the TS. Celtic have it up to 212 hp after mapping.

I'm near Crewe if you want me to take you out in mine. Anyway, you can get a nearly new one for 4k:
Used ALFA ROMEO 156 1.9L Car for Sale - Auto Trader UK
or a well driven facelift for £3500:
Alfa Romeo 156 1.9 JTD 16v Multijet [150] Veloce 4dr CALL 01454 261063 2005

I reposted your link on my facebook btw Kev ;)

Nick
The 1.9 150 is a fair shout tbh, but at 3k it's a little too much.

I've paid £950 for a 2.4 so I'm pretty happy with that. The only issue is a noisy alternator, it works as it should but I'm pretty sure the bearings have gone inside it cause it grinds on idle.

Aside from that, it's in great nic, red with red leather interior, and a big hoop spoiler :inlove:

Pics to follow tomorrow!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Looking good Rob. What do you think to driving it?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's really nice tbf, it feels a lot more solid than my 2.0TS. No knocks or bangs from the suspension.

This 5 pot has a really nice grumble when you give it some :D

It needs the pulley wheel replacing, not the alternator which is a relief!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts