1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK my dad's car history:
Alfasud
Alfasud (second one)
Fiat Chroma (ok a momentary blip - he only had it 4 months)
Alfa 164
Alfa 164
Alfa 164
Nothing for a long while (14 years)
Citroen C1 diesel :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :vomit:

Now we ran into financial difficulties so one of the first things to go is the brand spanking new Citroen.

Problem is he needs a car because he doesn't like to fly.
We've both always liked the 166, the pre-facelift, albeit we both think it's not as good looking as the 164 we still considered the 166 as one of the best looking saloons made recently.

Plan was to sell the italian reg cit and spend max £1.4k on a 166 and keep the ample change. + As he's on business meetings, the 166 will carry a lot more clout! (In Italy still considered as a very imposing car...still used by lots of politicians etc etc)

What I need to know is:

1. Which model is the best at returning MPG on motorway (will be used mainly for that)
2. Which is the best car for your £
3. Potential pitfalls and what to look out for (number of spare keys etc etc) excluding the obvious cambelt
4. Can one get a pre-facelift with a 6 speed box?

There is one of fleabay at the moment with a broken box...will a QV box fit straight in?

·
Registered
741 Posts
What I need to know is:

1. Which model is the best at returning MPG on motorway (will be used mainly for that)
2. Which is the best car for your £
3. Potential pitfalls and what to look out for (number of spare keys etc etc) excluding the obvious cambelt
4. Can one get a pre-facelift with a 6 speed box?

There is one of fleabay at the moment with a broken box...will a QV box fit straight in?
1. forget about economy - compared to modern diesel it will be awful. My 3.0 V6 super (manual) will get 27 mpg on a motorway run. Nursed it out to 36 once when running out of petrol.
2. best bang for bucks is a V6 with leather and premium sounds
3. look for caring owner and service history. Aim to get one with all the pitfalls fixed ( do a search)
4. 6 speed box in all the 3 litres and 2.5 V6 after 2000. Not sure if ever in the 2.0 twin-spark

Just get one while they are around, £1500-2000 will get a good one right now.
Problem is lots will be written off (on cost basis) with "simple" faults, like gearbox broken, cooling issues, cambelt failed etc.

Not sure QV box will fit, but cost of replacing box stopped me buying a known good super for £500. Can you DIY?

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Problem is he needs a car because he doesn't like to fly.
We've both always liked the 166, the pre-facelift, albeit we both think it's not as good looking as the 164 we still considered the 166 as one of the best looking saloons made recently.
What...Why not get a 164 then and have more change...

Warning...166's can fly.:D

(In Italy still considered as a very imposing car...still used by lots of politicians etc etc)

Politicans...Whit..That's it I am getting rid of mine....Oh Italian politicians....Oh I remember tha blonde one....Perhaps I'll keep then now.Esp as they have frersh MOT's.:D

At the age they are now they are getting rarer...Pity you never arrived earlier Steve had one with a snapped belt going reasonable and could have fitted the bill.

Consider a non runnwer and save a 166.

Good luck in your search.

Pomeo

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for the reply guys!
Yes I can do DIY! I did a cambelt change recently on my 2.0L and recently help another memeber of 145.com to get engine out of his 145 and took gearbox out. + very soon i will have diagnostics running TSDIAG and i'm looking into UNISCAN(and yes so far it's working in dos...waiting for the box + 16 bit cards...altough not relevant as 166 are on the M1xxx ECU Right?)

I saw a diplomatic 166 in Malta on my recent trip...it had a little italy flag on its wing :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

I guess i should have re-phrased the question....is a 2.0L with 5-speed box more economical than a 3.0 with 6 speed...might sound stupid but i reckon the extra gear on a motorway might actually achieve the same economy if you catch my drift.

I am definitely considering a non-runner, thinking a 2.0L specially if I can use the 145QV as a donor (gearbox) & spares car.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh yes and i'm not getting another 164 partly because it's now getting a little bit dated. Alfa's luxury saloon still remains the 166!

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
why not get the 166 2.4 diesel while in Italy and bring it back?

how hard can it be to convert to RHD with all the breakers on ebay?

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
oh yes and i'm not getting another 164 partly because it's now getting a little bit dated. Alfa's luxury saloon still remains the 166!
That's more like it Buell:thumbs: ;) :D Just dont tell the 164 ers

why not get the 166 2.4 diesel while in Italy and bring it back?

how hard can it be to convert to RHD with all the breakers on ebay?
I reckon very diffficult Purple..thats why Alfa didnt launch it in RHD.

With the flipping bother I had sourcing RHD brake pipes for the daughters bravo using eper and the dealer had difficulty I reckon Buell would have bother trying that...

You'd need a flipping maths degree to correlate the superseeded part numbers and cross refer.And that is knowing the right stuff should be there.

.Just get the diesel and keep it LHD.:thumbs:

Pomeo

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the reason is that there is a massive price differential between alfas in italy and alfas in UK.

Alfas in italy are considered like they should be (i.e on par if not better than bmw)
Alfas in UK,thanks mainly to the stupid press feeding rubbish to the stupid public, are very very under-rated.

145 QV in italy go from >EUR2000
The last "auction" -style auction on ebay.it for a petrol 166 sold for EUR2000 for a car that in UK would struggle to sell @ that price.

Last ebay.it car sold went for 9K EUR for a facelift model...
Actually, selling a UK car in italy is the way to go...ppl will buy even if RHS as saving can be huge!.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts