Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a 159, preferably a 2.4l 6spd. I am completely new to Alfa's as they don't have them in the US. I like the body style a lot though. A few questions:

1. Which years are the better/more reliable?
2. Is the 2.4 overall worth the extra money over the 1.9 or is it a minimal difference?
3. Any problems with AWD versions?

Found a real nice 2008 2.4l Q4 6-speed. Just wanted to know some info before I pulled the trigger. This car would be in Europe btw NOT US.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Welcome to AO!

Post 2008(?) the 159s were slightly revised and 2.4 DERVs upped from 200 to 210 BHP.

Check the plastic coolant plug issue which was revised
to metal at some point.

I'd look for a later 2.0 or 1750 gasoline if I was looking for one. Not sure you'd find those in Q4 though.

I've never heard about issues with Q4.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So 2008+ 2.4 diesel or 2008+ 1.7 gas is the good stuff? Would you do the Q4? Any issues with the all wheel drive systems, diff, transfer case....etc

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok so I have 2.4 q4 from 2008. Propshaft bearing comes with prop shaft not separate parts. Engine guard is expensive. Diff is clonking and tyre wear on ti is massive. If you don't need q4 go for tbi. Car drives insanely well. Love it for long journeys. Mpg is between 27 and 48. Want to take a ride before you buy? If so pm me

·
Registered
241 Posts
Looking to get a 159, preferably a 2.4l 6spd. I am completely new to Alfa's as they don't have them in the US. I like the body style a lot though. A few questions:

1. Which years are the better/more reliable?
2. Is the 2.4 overall worth the extra money over the 1.9 or is it a minimal difference?
3. Any problems with AWD versions?

Found a real nice 2008 2.4l Q4 6-speed. Just wanted to know some info before I pulled the trigger. This car would be in Europe btw NOT US.
I'm a petrol man myself but if you go for the oil burner then get the 2.4 it has an extra cylinder (5 cylinder motor) which is always a + and is powerful and readily tuneable from what owners have said on here.

If it's petrol then 1.75 or V6, the AWD is good, but if your not fussed about it then FWD will give you more choice as Q4 was only available on the 6 & 5 cylinder engines (3.2 & 2.4)

Just buy on condition, don't get to hung about the year

·
Registered
15 Posts
So 2008+ 2.4 diesel or 2008+ 1.7 gas is the good stuff? Would you do the Q4? Any issues with the all wheel drive systems, diff, transfer case....etc

I have a 2008 2.4 210bhp Q4 Ti Sportwagon I'm selling if you are interested?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Ok so I have 2.4 q4 from 2008. Propshaft bearing comes with prop shaft not separate parts. Engine guard is expensive. Diff is clonking and tyre wear on ti is massive. If you don't need q4 go for tbi. Car drives insanely well. Love it for long journeys. Mpg is between 27 and 48. Want to take a ride before you buy? If so pm me
I've also got a 2008 Ti Q4 Sportwagon with 84k on it now (I've done 14k) and love it to bits. Minor issues resolved bar a sunroof that won't open anymore). Aware of the Q4 propshaft "issue" but also aware that North West Propshaft Services have overhauled failed ones much cheaper than replacement.
MPG is between 34 and 51 if driven with a light foot, EGR deleted but still have the DPF. Front wishbone bushes were shot when I got the car from Veloces and were replaced at Autolusso with the plastic variety. Tyre wear is not massive on mine after Autolusso did a full alignment on it which is great as I only fit top rated tyres (Continental Winters and SportContact 6).
Car is relaxing on long runs and mental on twistier roads, I've yet to induce any understeer, probably the most "planted" car I've driven bar the Stratos replica.
Can't recommend the Q4 highly enough as you might have guessed!
Guy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whats TBI? So Q4 is just more of a headache if I dont really need it

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Should I stay away from the first years though, 2005,2006...?
Mines an '07 1.9jtdm with absolutely no mods - it's done 117k miles, 37k of which I've put on.

(Touching wood as I type) - it's running like a dream and I've only had one problem with inner tyre wear on the fronts which was cured using OE's settings in one of his posts.

As others have said, buy on condition and history, good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is the 1.9 diesel the same same 1.9 diesel as in the 147? If so, I can image the 159 be pretty slow

·
Registered
497 Posts
Whats TBI? So Q4 is just more of a headache if I dont really need it
TBI = Turbo Petrol Injection. This is the best engine Alfa have made since the Busso V6 (not to be confused with the GM sourced V6 in the 159). If I was buying a 159 or Spider, this is the engine I'd insist on. Q4 is great but only if you need it.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
In my opinion unless the 1.9 has a heavy remap and turbo upgrade it is just too slow in this car. Even the 2.4 feels a bit sluggish but is stunning once remapped.

the V6 is a fantastic engine. The 2.4 diesel is great when remapped. The 1750 turbo TBI is very good and very tuneable.

The post 2008 only applies to the 2.4 diesel when a much better turbo was fitted. It is easy to tell because on the drivers door pillar is a plate showing either 200 or 210bhp. The 210 has the better turbo.

The weak spot slowly being discovered is that the M40 gearbox is immensely strong but the M32 (I think that is what it is designated) that is fitted to the lower power cars is quite weak with a number now failing at relatively low mileage.

General faults
Front subframes are known to rust. Some do some don't. Clean, check and treat.
Rear springs can break.
Front top wishbones bushes fail. (Cheap and easy.)
Bottom wishbone rear bushes fail. (Easy but more expensive than the top ones.)
Disinfectant smell with aircon switched on means the wiring connector on the controller is arching and burning the plastic. (Simple fix.)
Blue and Me is unreliable so get the owner to demonstrate it fully working with their phone. Hundreds of these now broken and won't be a simple fix that the owner tells you it is.

Mine has been incredibly reliable.

Read this:-

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...946-spider-owners-tech-info-fault-guides.html

and this:-

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...573754-definitive-159-brera-buyers-guide.html

Under the skin the 159 and Brera are effectively the same car.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Is the 1.9 diesel the same same 1.9 diesel as in the 147? If so, I can image the 159 be pretty slow

It's the 150bhp and not slow at all (IMHO), OK not the quickest off the line, but not a slouch either and enough torque mid range for me.

I believe mine has the M32 'chocolate' gearbox. Like most forums really, people mostly post problems, but mines going well with 117,000 miles covered.

Good luck with the search.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts