Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm currently looking into 147 jtd, is there anything in particular I should be looking out for, such as ware and tear issues and anything prone to failure? I've only had Alfa petrol engines which have always been bulletproof, and currently own a GT 3.2 which I'll be keeping.

Thanks any advice is appreciated

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Many things will be similar to your GT such as floor pans and the suspension setup, give or take any components specific to the 3.2. The 147 does not have the same frameless doors as the GT so you don't get as many window gremlins. Squeaky upper suspension arms are just as common as are other bits like the rear hub bushes, handbrake cables and some other odds and ends. Older cars might require ARB bushes/lower suspension arms, I had to have mine replaced at 75k but many last into the 100k area, be sure to listen for any front end knocking.

Main Bits:

1. Clutch/Dual-mass flywheel - There won't be much change from a grand if both these need replacing so always check the clutch pedal travel, if it's high then maybe the clutch needs replacing.
2. Swirl Flaps - Especially those fitted to the later diesel engines with the plastic intake manifold (see Autolusso - Swirl Flap Delete for more) Many are trouble free but many also aren't.
3. Timing belt & water pump - The JTD engines have been known to suffer water pump seizure which can shred the timing belt and in many cases destroy the engine. They should both be replaced every 60k or 4 years whichever is sooner.
4. EGR - These are prone to sticking open and causing low down power issues as the valve allows the inlet to be flooded with exhaust gas. They can be reconditioned but many owners decide to blank them off and remap the ECU to permanently solve the issue. When you see the crud that comes off an EGR it's hard to believe that anyone thought it was a good idea to feed burnt diesel and carbon deposits directly into the inlet manifold, it really does stick like sh*t to a blanket.
5. Turbo Hoses - The OEM lower turbo hose in particular is prone to wear against the gearbox and eventually they blow, causing power loss and excess smoking. A cheap fix is to replace these with silicone hoses which do not expand like the original parts and last much longer. See - Alfa Romeo GT 147/ 156 Lower Turbo Hose - 1.9 JTD 16v 8v - Silicone - Autolusso New Alfa Romeo Parts

Hopefully this helps, there will be more but I'm sure our friends on here will point out any more areas for concern. Best of luck with your search. :thumbs:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats fantastic info, I think you've covered everything there, I'll be better equipped when looking.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Thats fantastic info, I think you've covered everything there, I'll be better equipped when looking.

Thanks
No worries. :thumbs: A couple of bits I didn't mention: Floorpans, when Autolusso checked my 147 it had pretty much no factory undersealing which can lead to some terminal corrosion if it's not treated. Given that the underside can be Waxoyled for £80 it's a no brainer really. Also, the exhaust back-boxes corrode badly but this is more a cosmetic issue providing they aren't blowing.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is a great list, I've had a jtd GT to 150k and a 147 currently at 80k and seen all these except the swirl flaps. I'd add to this to look at the oil level of the prospective purchase and all coolants tbh, jtd's are prone to oil leaks and can use a bit of oil, if it's low I'd walk away as it's not been kept an eye on...

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oh last thing, the fog light housings can get cracked and corroded so the chrome surround gets really rusty. Very unsightly but is dead easy to replace and costs £30-40 for the whole thing, so if they are rusted just get the price knocked down £150 or so to get them replaced :)

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I would agree with most of the above, only to say if the water pump does let go it's normally not terminal for the engine , most of the time the rockers take the brunt of it and you can get away with just replacing those...

radiators do seem to need replacement at anywhere from 70k onwards but I did have a leak my old 31k 05 JTS GT rad at 40k so have a really good look. and in addition no one has yet mentioned oil cooler ,pipes and especially unions, a very well known weak spot and can absolutely kill the engine if it lets go at speed and you don't notice immediately.

in fact the previous comment on the JTD using oil is more likely to be down to leaking from here as I find after 30k + with mine it uses no oil at all between services although admittedly I do drop the oil every 6-8k to protect the turbo.

if I am honest I would probably go for something over 90k with a full history and recent clutch,cambelt, wishbones, and an egr clean and or removal. my FSH 70k blackline needed all of the above in the first year but my annual mileage is high so would have lasted most over a year on normal ''average'' 10k a year usage.

just check it all thoroughly and if anything big needs doing negotiate it into the deal..

good luck:thumbup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This great and I hope others find it f use, I'll be going to see one tomorrow morning in Rugley, looks tidy done 90k, says full service, we'll see.

I'm fully aware of cam belt and water pump replacement so will make sure this at least has been done as well as the clutch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts