Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Posted this in Newbie so sorry for the cut and paste

I've joined the site to get some info on Alfa's (obviously)!

I'm currently driving a Astra Coupe Bertone, it's a 2.2 ltr petrol and Automatic. Now I'm after a Alfa diesel as the MPG is killing me on my astra. I'm getting 22MPG. I only do short journey's but I'm trying to change now as you will all be aware that in 2 years time my tax will be £400! Scary.

So I'm looking at either a 156 19JTD or a GT 1.9JTD.
I do have 1 child so the 156 is more practical for me, although owning a coupe now and the fact that my partners cars is a 5 door Focus another coupe wouldn't cause me too much problems.

So really I'm just after opinions on both of the cars, owners exp etc...
And I know Alfa's have a reputation for unreliability, are they that bad or just a bit of a myth these days?

Looking forward to comments. :p

·
Registered
69 Posts
no they really are VERY unreliably. Things brake alot on them and they have a lot of annoying little habits.

That said there you love them like a wife, hard to get a long with, cost ****loads, always got "problems" but you love them anyway!

D

·
0 Posts
Are you sure you don't mean 159 JTD mate? The 156 JTD's are the older style, and about half the price of a GT? If you are after a 156 Diesel though I'd recommend going with the 20V 2.4 Turbo, 170BHP beast that returns around 40+MPG, :D

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
So really I'm just after opinions on both of the cars, owners exp etc...
And I know Alfa's have a reputation for unreliability, are they that bad or just a bit of a myth these days?

The JTDs are bullet proof ... nuff said

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you sure you don't mean 159 JTD mate? The 156 JTD's are the older style, and about half the price of a GT? If you are after a 156 Diesel though I'd recommend going with the 20V 2.4 Turbo, 170BHP beast that returns around 40+MPG, :D
Yeah my budget may strecth to a GT, but not to a 159 so it'll have to be a 156 I get a saloon. Has to be a diesel tho.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I've got a 1.9 16v mjet 156 sportwagon. 150 bhp and still 49mpg. Like rene147 said bits do go wrong but if you look after it the engine is pretty solid. Try and get one with the 6 speed box. Even some of the lower spec models have them. On motorways you will appreciate it all the more! Its got plenty of space for kids plus extra room in the back and the seats are massivly comfortable. Couldn't buy a better looking estate (apart from 159!!!! lol). Hope that helps:)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
hi - go for it - i recommend a 1.9jtd GT obviously ;) v nice - engine needs mapping for best - bits do go wrong - but are made much worse by dealers :( best to get independant garage to sort imo
not really any worse than audis ive had previously though
good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts