Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I had a shocking experience with halfords today. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to share this with you and have an advice. Is there an alfa expert around west London (we live in Chiswick) that you can suggest? But let me start from the beginning...

I bought my 159 1.9JTDm almost 2 years ago from car giant. Having no experience on "where to go" here in London for a little help, I decided to sign up for the warranty (2 years AA warranty) for piece of mind (alas, what a genuine person I am).

Couple month in and the car goes in limp mode. Call the insurance, they said to take it to halfords. I took the car in and in a couple of days the car is back on track, no charge done. Very cryptic explanation from them back then: we cleaned a sensor and reset a fault code. All ok. I was happy. Didn't pay a penny.

The car drove beautifully for 18 months. I have no complaints a part that is a bit thirsty. Never managed to do more then 45Mpg on the motorway driving very "consciously". In town computer displays around 25. I have digressed, back to the point.

A couple of weeks back the DPF light came on and the message "have engine checked". No limp mode. Car drove perfectly. The same day in the evening another message came up: change engine oil.

It took me 3 days to get hold of the warranty people. I wanted to call them anyway as the switch that opens the boot is broken and it is very annoying to have to switch the engine off to open the boot with the remote. I booked the car in for the halfords garage in acton, but they don't do electrics so they send me (my girlfriend to be precise as I was working) to park royal. 1.5 days in and they call me back. All OK Mister Marco. They had to:
- reset all fault codes as no fault found during test drive.
- P2455 differential pressure sensor intermittent
- p0504 brake switch intermittent

I asked about the engine oil message. They said they didn't know the engine oil level 'cos I should go for a service if I wanted to know that. (right!). I asked please can you just check if it is safe to drive? They said they would do that. I asked about the state of my dpf filter, they said it was "ok". I was also pleased to know that the boot was working properly now.

My girlfriend went there and...

- the DPF light and "have engine checked" was back on!!
- to open the boot they said: look you can use the key to open it. It works. My partner was speechless (is this some sort of a joke?).

They referred me to an alfa dealer to have both the issue investigated cos they don't know what else to do. Why didn't they tell me that in first place?

I am in need of a trustworthy garage that knows about alfa. I will try to have the money back from the warranty in the event something is wrong with her. I need to have her serviced anyway. I have read quite a lot of reviews on forums about proalfa. They seems capable and professional, but is a very long way for me to get there and ... come back???

Do you have any experience with alfa garage in the area of west London or near by?

thank you guys.

Marco

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Alfaaid in Maidenhead are excellent and will sort your car out. 01628 788887.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Autodelta in acton

Not the cheapest indie but really can fix anything and look after a lot of alfas, day in day out.

Mj

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Alfacraft at mortlake. Small, independent and Phil is alfa through and through. Went there after recommendations on these forums and never looked back.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm based in New Malden (Kingston/Wimbledon way) and I can recommend Bianco Auto Developments, but they're down near Gatwick, or AHM in Hartley Wintney. It'll be worth your while to look at the Independent Garage Recommendations sticky thread on the General Alfa Discussion forum, and download the dead handy Excel file with members' reviews, I reckon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all.

I will go for alfacraft as they are indeed at walking distance from mine.

I really appreciate all your feedback... very helpful.

Now the painful bit: call the warranty and convince them to pay for it... gently (to start with)...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts