Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in search of Alfa 164 Q4 engine. Mine is almost dead after cambelt failure. Did anybody see such engine in ads, breaks or maybe have an idea where to look? Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I would say that you're extremely unlikely to find one in the UK. I think your best chance is to try somewhere like Germany, as there's quite a good selection of Q4 spares over there. Here's a couple of listings that might be of use to you:

Alfa 164 Q4 ,QV Teile,Motor,6Gang Getriebe,StoßDämpfer,Spoiler in guten zustand. | eBay

Alfa Romeo 164 Q4 in original Zustand mit leichten frontschaden. | eBay

On a separate note; would you mind telling me more about your Q4? I only know of three in the country so I'm wondering if there's more out there!
Haydn

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would say that you're extremely unlikely to find one in the UK. I think your best chance is to try somewhere like Germany, as there's quite a good selection of Q4 spares over there. Here's a couple of listings that might be of use to you:

Alfa 164 Q4 ,QV Teile,Motor,6Gang Getriebe,StoßDämpfer,Spoiler in guten zustand. | eBay

Alfa Romeo 164 Q4 in original Zustand mit leichten frontschaden. | eBay

On a separate note; would you mind telling me more about your Q4? I only know of three in the country so I'm wondering if there's more out there!
Haydn
On Car and Classic someone is selling a Q4 which is advertised with a spare engine , it might be worth contacting him to see if he would sell separately ? Good luck

·
Registered
827 Posts
On Car and Classic someone is selling a Q4 which is advertised with a spare engine , it might be worth contacting him to see if he would sell separately ? Good luck
I think the advert you're referring to is for the sale of a 164 QV with a spare QV-spec engine. The Q4 engine isn't quite the same - it has a slightly different wiring loom and a different version of the Bosch engine management system for starters. It probably could be made to work in a Q4 but I don't think it would be easy work!

·
Registered
827 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just to add speedfire - I think you'll also find the following site useful (if you're not already a member).

Alfa Romeo 164 Register.com ? Alfa Romeo 164 Register
I know that the Q4 has different ECU and air flow meter than a uk spec FWD 164 24v Cloverleaf. However, I'm thinking that a 24 valver from a Leaf would be fine for your car as long as the front crankshaft sensor on the front pully and the camshaft sensor are the same along with the throttle position sensor then I see no issues. Take a look at a Leaf and see if they are the same.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
There's actually no mechanical difference between any of the 24v engines. Even a standard 210 bhp is the same mechanically with the lower bhp rating coming from restricting the airflow with narrow runners. So basically any 24v engine will do so long as you migrate the Q4 bits (AFM etc.) from the old engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts