Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
AO Gold Member, GTV/Spider Lounge Winner 09
9,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone on here willing to take on the mind of a shooter??

im deadly serious for a change!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
You cannot be serious (in best John McEnroe accent), we are all nutters on here.
Seriously, if you do need a "sports shrink", then do some searches on the net for the top guys who the Golf pros use.
The team GB cycling squad obviously use some good people, could you try getting some freebie advice from them? As you are in Wales, could you find out who Nicole Cooke uses (because it seems to work)?
I know some people think shooting may be a bit different to other sports, but having a good diet and being physically fit will give you an edge. Being calm, having good blood pressure and a low heart rate are obvious. A good mind coach will work on building confidence, and getting rid of all negativity.
Good Golf pros become target orientated, ignoring outside distractions altogether. They never think about trouble on the course, just about club selection and landing areas. Each shot is a different match, and you cannot change what has gone before. You should never think about winning or losing when competing, just concentrating on the job in hand.
There are some good books out there, and they are far cheaper than hiring a "shrink".
Good luck.

R

·
0 Posts
TBH getting free advice from any proffesional lottery funded pyschologist from another sport is unlikly to say the least. I would have thought you would need one that understands the specific problems/pressures etc in your sport, i would start with your sports governing body or team mates for recomendations or have a look here.

BASES - The British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences

Best of luck chuck :thumbs:

·
9,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You cannot be serious (in best John McEnroe accent), we are all nutters on here.
Seriously, if you do need a "sports shrink", then do some searches on the net for the top guys who the Golf pros use.
The team GB cycling squad obviously use some good people, could you try getting some freebie advice from them? As you are in Wales, could you find out who Nicole Cooke uses (because it seems to work)?
I know some people think shooting may be a bit different to other sports, but having a good diet and being physically fit will give you an edge. Being calm, having good blood pressure and a low heart rate are obvious. A good mind coach will work on building confidence, and getting rid of all negativity.
Good Golf pros become target orientated, ignoring outside distractions altogether. They never think about trouble on the course, just about club selection and landing areas. Each shot is a different match, and you cannot change what has gone before. You should never think about winning or losing when competing, just concentrating on the job in hand.
There are some good books out there, and they are far cheaper than hiring a "shrink".
Good luck.

Thats exactly what we are told...each shot is a match...out of the 60 we shoot....

just had an awful year due to a bullying coach who i have now left...but hes done some damage :(

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Thats exactly what we are told...each shot is a match...out of the 60 we shoot....

just had an awful year due to a bullying coach who i have now left...but hes done some damage :(
That is unfortunate, because a "bully" can undermine the confidence of anyone, let alone a sports person who is trying to stay very calm and focussed. I have seen this time and time again at our local driving range. We have four good professionals there, but certain people think they are better qualified to teach their offspring, and this results in swearing, shouting and insults, very often aimed at young people who should be ENJOYING a sport.
From what you have said, you are at a high standard already, so you need nurturing and fine tuning, but most importantly you need people around you who will inspire confidence, not shout or insult you, or employ other bullying methods.
Good luck Alfa-female, I hope that you find another coach soon.

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
Perhaps you can get a strap on Michael Schumacher style inflatable snowplough chin and just nurf all of the other shootists out of the way?

·
9,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here we go, see if this link is any good.

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/issfbook.pdf
BBC iPlayer Console

2.52 minutes in. Pause for thought after Edwin Collins, Never met a Girl like You.

monza...have listned to it...thank you...:thumbs:

andy...have saved it for reading later...

and thanks very much to you two...youve been rocks :thumbs:

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
Well done, of course I meant 2 hours 52 minutes in.

I'm not blonde. Just a bit grey.

Them not being there when you got up from your shooting seems insensitive in the least.

If you get the inflatable Michael Schumacher chin you can pass it around the windbreak afterwards next time and we can all take it turns to be Brucie. ;)

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
I'm not an expert, but could the Sports Council help you with this - don't they have lottery funded sports psychologists for people in just your situation?

I'm guessing they don't necessarily need to be sport specific, but able to show you how to focus on the positives.

Good luck anyway, I hope you get something sorted :)

·
9,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
welll..an update....

to build confidence and learn focus.....

im......

having a private lesson at 5pm on friday in the art of Arnis.....

:D

One of the characteristics of Filipino martial arts is the use of weapons from the very beginning of training. Modern Arnis is no exception. The primary weapon is the rattan stick, called a cane or baston (baton), which varies in size, but is usually about 28 inches (71cm) in length. Both single and double stick techniques are taught, with an emphasis on the former; unarmed defenses against the stick and against bladed weapons (which the stick is sometimes taken to represent) are also part of the curriculum.

·
Administrator
86,632 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts