Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've just had the family Berlingo written off thanks to a rear end shunt at a roundabout. The GTV's not quite up for carrying all five of us!

For the family car I was thinking of getting a Renault Grande Scenic (budget 2k+) - Can anyone point me in the direction of a good buyers guide that lists out all the variations between models? Parkers used to do general ones but now seem to have split them out for each model. I just want an overview and know any issues to look.

Many thanks, Andy.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
They are totally unreliable, but knock yourself out. ;)
I worked briefly at a branch of a major car supermarket and out of all the cars that passed through the workshop the Grand Scenics just kept on coming back. Well equipped and alright to drive but personally with that budget I would go for the Ford Galaxy or the Kia Sedona.

·
Registered
16,343 Posts
I worked briefly at a branch of a major car supermarket and out of all the cars that passed through the workshop the Grand Scenics just kept on coming back. Well equipped and alright to drive but personally with that budget I would go for the Ford Galaxy or the Kia Sedona.
I know a few people with Sedonas, one of them has upwards of 200,000 miles on it and just keeps going. If you basically want a big bus to cart tour family about, they seem to do it with a minimum of fuss.

·
Registered
534 Posts
My daughter has a Scenic and if they're all much the same expect it to corner like one of those top heavy sailing ships in the Spanish Armada.

After driving an Alfa it seems like its a new, French developed, sort of psychological torture.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
My daughter has a Scenic and if they're all much the same expect it to corner like one of those top heavy sailing ships in the Spanish Armada.

After driving an Alfa it seems like its a new, French developed, sort of psychological torture.
Could be worse it could be a Vauxhall Zafira which has one redeeming feature: it's not a bus.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Well I'll defend the Scenic. It's nicer to drive than any of the competition except the S-Max. Better equipped too. My kids loved it when they were small as the middle seats are higher than the fronts so they could see forward and out

True it may not be the most reliable, but like Alfas if you can find a good independent to service and maintain it then it's no worse than any other make. In 9+ years it only failed to start once, when I parked it right outside Tesco's automatic doors and that interfered with the keyless ignition sensor

I had one from 2004 until the end of last year - when I replaced it with the Brera and another [new] Scenic.

Unless you do a high mileage and need a diesel, get the 1.6 petrol. The steering and front suspension components aren't really engineered to cope with the additional weight of the diesel and will cause fails or advisories at most MOTs

If you must get a diesel, get the early 1.9, 120 HP, not the later 130HP as service intervals are 18k instead of 9k on the newer engine.

Instrument panels fail but at the age you're looking at it should've been replaced.

Also there are problems with leccy windows - this is across the entire Megane range. Renault will repair both of these at significant discount - flat £100 for instrument panel and 70% discount on windows

My wife bought a Polo soon after I got the Scenic and I'd say that's caused more grief than the Scenic did

·
Registered
38,290 Posts
"Well I'll defend the Scenic. It's nicer to drive than any of the competition except the S-Max."
You forget the Multipla . Ours was bought in 2007 and we've stuck with it while friends who got a Renault got rid of theirs long since as it started to look a bit of a liability .

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
500L blows them all out of the water. ;)
(Although the S-Max is the only one which will take 3 child seats in the back, I'm told.)

Of the 3 people I know who had Scenics in the last 5-10 years they all had
one of more of the following issues:

Steering columns replaced.

Engine faults that took multiple trips to sort out.

Dash dismantled to access a dash PCB which was
prone to blowing a track and taking out the whole dash.
(Renault would try and replace the whole dash unit which was massively
expensive out of warranty.)

They constantly come bottom of any reliability survey, even in their homeland.

·
Registered
38,290 Posts
With the Multipla , the child could sit between the parents at the front !
Fantastic , until the child gets inquisitive about the gearshift . Happened to friends in Italy who have one child. But they got away with H&S attempted shift .

·
Registered
800 Posts
We had a 07 scenic in out possession for approx 2 months and in the garage for nearly 2 months.Why did we even entertain a renault i dont know.......a lesson learnt for sure

·
Registered
38,290 Posts
When Honda copied the Multipla they raised the waistline so the top of the door trim was too high to be an armrest so effectively narrowed the interior width by two arm widths ! not so clever .

·
Registered
562 Posts
"Well I'll defend the Scenic. It's nicer to drive than any of the competition except the S-Max."
You forget the Multipla . Ours was bought in 2007 and we've stuck with it while friends who got a Renault got rid of theirs long since as it started to look a bit of a liability .
No, I didn't forget the multipla (much as I'd like to :vomit:)

When I came to sell my Scenic, it went in 24 hours. And there are a lot of them out there

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Oh people buy them alright.
A colleague bought a 2nd brand
new one last year after the cambelt
went 2 months out of warranty on
his first (fully-serviced-by-Renault) one.

It was the only way to get shot of the
knacked one with not too much of a
financial lost. :(

·
Registered
38,290 Posts
No, I didn't forget the multipla (much as I'd like to :vomit:)

When I came to sell my Scenic, it went in 24 hours. And there are a lot of them out there
Your loss!
The reason there are a lot out there is that people need to get rid of them after the warranty runs out . And that's according to a neighbour who has retired recently from the trade .
Multipla owners seem to just hang onto them .

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
renault, scenic, grande, guide, buying, advice

Thanks all :thumbs: - very handy points and nice to have lots of different points of view. Still deliberating as I like the spec, internal width (needed for 3x car seats) and fold flat rear occasional seats. Realise the electrics could be an issue. Do they tend to fail early on, or just whenever?

BTW, what could I expect to pay for a cambelt and water pump (using and indy)? - thanks.

True it may not be the most reliable, but like Alfas if you can find a good independent to service and maintain it then it's no worse than any other make. In 9+ years it only failed to start once, when I parked it right outside Tesco's automatic doors and that interfered with the keyless ignition sensor

Unless you do a high mileage and need a diesel, get the 1.6 petrol. The steering and front suspension components aren't really engineered to cope with the additional weight of the diesel and will cause fails or advisories at most MOTs

If you must get a diesel, get the early 1.9, 120 HP, not the later 130HP as service intervals are 18k instead of 9k on the newer engine.

Instrument panels fail but at the age you're looking at it should've been replaced.

Also there are problems with leccy windows - this is across the entire Megane range. Renault will repair both of these at significant discount - flat £100 for instrument panel and 70% discount on windows

My wife bought a Polo soon after I got the Scenic and I'd say that's caused more grief than the Scenic did
Thanks, great info. :thumbs: We also had a love hate polo relationship!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts