Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a 2.0 TS spider as a project. It would need to be fairly cheap <£1000 and be repairable/restorable.

Does anyone know of anything coming up for sale, ideally in the Oxfordshire area?

A current MOT would be desireable also even if it is very short to allow it to be legally driven home. I would also consider a car from a bit farther away if it can be driven.

Cars needing welding or other mechanical work are definitely also being considered especially at this sort of price.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I'm considering selling mine, although I'm not 100% sure yet. But one condition is that it goes to a fellow enthusiast. I'd probably like a bit more than your budget, circa £1500, but it's more than driveable, had plenty done to it over the past few years, but needs love to bring it up to full scratch. Sills will need looking at ultimately, paintwork needs attention, and the hood could probably do with a look at too. I'm in North Worcestershire. I took it off the road last Autumn as I think it is getting too old for a daily driver without some renovation first.
DSC_1178 (1).jpg
DSC_1061.jpg
DSC_0986.jpg

·
Registered
37,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That doesn't look too bad, it might be out of my price range but i will have a word with the Mrs.

I just saved her £1000 by changing the clutch and flywheel on the Giulietta myself so i don't think she would complain too much...

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I'd love to keep it as a second summer car, but I just don't think I can make the maths work at the moment, and it saddens me to see it just sit there. If you want any more photos etc let me know. As I say, I'm not 100% sure of letting her go yet, I think I'm just gearing myself up to ending my time with 916s, at least for now

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Symon

Places like eBay and Gumtree are always a good place to start. There are some real bargains to be had and some real horrors that are overpriced. You will need to be very disciplined when buying as the Spider is such a fun car, it is easy to be smitten after a quick drive with the hood down. Set a budget and decide what jobs you are prepared to do yourself, what you don’t mind paying to have done and what is a deal breaker.

I was lucky... I paid £750 for my Spider and 3 years/15000 miles later it hasn’t let me down. Apart from a timing belt when I first got it, I have spent very little... new battery, drop links, normal servicing and a bit on MOTs. Everything else I’ve spent has been through choice... new alloys, quad exhaust etc. Any 20 year old car will be a gamble, there’s a lot to be said for buying cheap and keeping a few quid in reserve just in case.

James

Don’t sell it... you’ll regret it. The white seats look great and very tidy engine bay. I’ve got the same strut brace in my Spider, cracking bit of kit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts