Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
These are old cars now and red paint is notoriously difficult to match. Sounds like an easy pass to me, rust on arches a particular concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Mine's like a patchwork quilt, none of the plastics match the metal, and never did.

I'm not overly bothered as only noticeable when the car is freshly cleaned, and it's an old car now.

You don't need the rust issues though, mine's not got a spot on it that I've ever seen

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
There no longer appears to be a 'standard' for Alfa Red - it's had various subtle differences in shade over the years, and it's got darker in recent years, to the point that other manufacturers do far better vibrant reds (8C Red excepted of course!).
It's been mentioned a number of times on the site, though not sure if in the 939 section.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Oh yes....the Rosso on my 159 was way darker than it is in my 159.....as i discovered when I went to use my old 156 touch up paint on the 159!! They all have different paint codes though so it should not be an issue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Good evening all - I like cars that have that 'something different' or quirky.....previously owned an Elgrand when they were fresh imports (and I needed the kid-space!) then a C70 Convertible (T5 version -quite possibly the quickest car I've ever owned!) and a 300C (Loved the looks). Don't call me for my past tatses! :) Now I am in the market for a new car and I have never owned an Alfa? A quick look amongst the catalogue of availables and I have to say the Brera is one hell of a fantastic looking car. In fact my minds made up that this is the next car for me. I have had a good look on the forums and googled the death out of Brera but In my opinion the best place for any questions regarding my cars has always been the forums.
I think I have settled on the 2.4 diesel, manual. However, to be honest, the 2.2 does appeal as well? I have looked on the excellent buyers guide here and have some good info but are there any other things I should be looking for? E.g didn't know the windows should drop that inch when opening and closing until a quick youtube vid so any pointers guys?

Any help much appreciated and will keep you posted on the search! Lastly need a recommended independant close by. I do most of my servicing/repairs myself but apparently I will need a garage at some point?! :) I am located in Skelmersdale nr Wigan Lancashire. Thanks all - 'soon to be Brera owner'
The best model, imho, is the 1750TBi if you can get hold of one. Great engine, responsive through the gears, responds well to a couple of simple and relatively easy and inexpensive modifications eg. new exhaust system.set up well with Bilsteins etc. Best seats of any model.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Seats are the same regardless of engine (model?)!
Interior had a facelift in 2008.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Suppose he might mean that you can only get the good seats in the 1750, whereas with the 2.2, 3.2 and 2.4 for you might come across earlier models with the rubbish pre ‘08 interior.

You can forget the 1750 anyway, there’s only about three in the country. And while it has its merits I’d personally prefer the more enjoyable n/a engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Whilst the earlier seats don't look as good, people on here have commented that they're more comfortable on an extended drive. I've no experience with them.

There are horror stories regarding the 1.75. I seem to remember something about oil/fuel mixing - there's an extensive thread on here somewhere.
They sound rubbish as stock, and performance and mpg really isn't that much of an improvement on the old 2.2, certainly not enough to justify the ridiculous prices they're advertised at. I wonder if they actually achieve anything like the prices they're advertised at. The advertised prices of 1.75s when in a 159 seem more appropriate.

As Liam, my preference is always for a naturally-aspirated engine over a turbo, but sadly n/a cars are rare beasts these days.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts