Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah I know - needle in a haystack - especially over here in Ireland. Have acquired a '01 Twink with a totally knackered gearbox which I think is just about worth getting sorted and back on teh road as the rest of the motor is in nice condition. Seems to be a few 5-spd boxes around (well if 3 count as 'a few' lol) but under advice I am extending the search to a 6-spd manual box as I understand they slot straight in and are superior - hence the needle in the haystack comment - can't find a 6spd box for love nor money! Any ideas good AO peeps? I would strongly consider importing or travelling for the right one!

As a second point, anyone want to give me a decent guide price for a 2nd hand 5spd or 6spd manual box so I can haggle the breakers appropriately - something to match the engine mileage or less I guess (70k miles).

Bloody cold here I must say. Brrr...

·
Registered
741 Posts
Not much chsnce finding 6 speed unit. Best chance is getting one from a scrapped Super, which has busted cambelt.
I was quoted £1000 to have my busted 6 speed replaced with reconditioned unit (may have been my own repaired item?). Broke my car instead, :(

Not sure if 6 speed is retro fit for the 5 speed unit, others may know better.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've got a spare 166 I bought cheapo without knowing what I was going to do with. The bodywork is tatty but it has a 3.0 V6 with 6 speed box all in good working order (mileage is 155k). It has no MOT due to power steering issues and it needs an exhaust, I've sourced the parts and was planning to sell the whole lot on as a project for someone as I haven't got:
1) The heart to break a 166 in almost working order or
2) The space or knowhow to do it myself - labour costs for an indie to fix it up make it uneconomical
The log book hasn't come through yet hence the reason its not been advertised.

Its probably not what you are looking for (a whole car)....but let me know if you're interested.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts