Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But why are they so heavy? :O Gorgeous gorgeous cars, and this is coming from someone in a very well kitted and nicely modified BMW Z4. I just can't get over the weight of the car compared the it's alternatives/competition. Can anyone shed any light on how these cars actually 'perform' in a real life situation? I've also heard they're quite gutsy on diesel...?

Obviously I'm not looking for a true sports car like a Z4 but rather a sporty GT/saloon/coupe that's also practical...any feedback would be welcomed.

·
Registered
787 Posts
My 159 gets 40-46mpg at the moment, unmodified. And by heavy do you mean, solid, robust, glued to the road? :smoker:

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
The thing about Alfa is you buy one because you want one.
Regardless of any issues.
Buy first, think about it later.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I can only speak for the 2.2 Brera, the slowest of the lot. Don't expect it to feel like a sports car because it won't. It will however feel planted on the road and it is quick enough for most normal driving. It has plenty of low down torque and a bit of pep at higher revs which make it feel nice to drive. It handles quite well but the seats will not support you well enough laterally unless you are very fat.

I've come from a V6 GTV and it didn't take long to bond with it but you have to appreciate it for what it is rather than what it isn't.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Have you tried the Brera Prodrive? they're supposed to be a bit lighter and more of a drivers car, dont know much about Breras other than they are drop dead gorgeous and that the 2.2s are prone to timing chain breakages. I'm probably wrong on all counts, I usually am on here and I'll probably end up getting more inbox death threats but there you go

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Have you tried the Brera Prodrive? they're supposed to be a bit lighter and more of a drivers car, dont know much about Breras other than they are drop dead gorgeous and that the 2.2s are prone to timing chain breakages. I'm probably wrong on all counts, I usually am on here and I'll probably end up getting more inbox death threats but there you go
You're certainly wrong about timing chain 'breakages'. They have a tendency to 'stretch', typically around the 40 to 50k mark.
Just replace when the EML comes on and the appropriate code is flagged up.
Nothing like a cambelt letting go.

Definitely have a look at a Prodrive, but you do pay a hefty premium.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The 2.2 Prodrive isn't significantly lighter than standard. The 3.2 is only lighter because it's front wheel drive only instead of 4WD

·
Registered
274 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
A nice condition GT 3.2 might be something you should consider too. Lighter - more nimble car.

I drove a 2.4 Brera and was dissapointed to horizon and back, it drove nice on it's own. Felt verry solid on the road. But it was slow - and i mean dead in the water slow, i wasn't even surprised because the 159 i drove before had the same problem. Both were 2.4s both were dead in the water (and drunk fuel like crazy) - that day i blamed it on the weight and on the aerodynamics (a Passat 2.0 TDI could outrun both).

However i think that the problem (as both were used) was more into the engine departement (the 5 Zylinder Diesel tend to soot up and decrease performance a lot if not taken care). Those engines are durable, but they suffer extremely from EGR problems (can be fixed, but on most used cars it simply is not fixed), alsow they might had to regenerate the DPF.... You shold keep that in mind. I lose quite a lot of torgue if DPF regeneration us due on my car now, so combine both worst case problems and the 210bhp engine might only deliver 350nm and 170bhp... (sooted EGR, sootet Boost sensor, and need a long drive to clean up DPF).

Sadly most users tend to scratch the aluminium interior with there keys and other stuff, that can seriously look like **** on a used car (idiots).

·
Registered
274 Posts
A nice condition GT 3.2 might be something you should consider too. Lighter - more nimble car.

I drove a 2.4 Brera and was dissapointed to horizon and back, it drove nice on it's own. Felt verry solid on the road. But it was slow - and i mean dead in the water slow, i wasn't even surprised because the 159 i drove before had the same problem. Both were 2.4s both were dead in the water (and drunk fuel like crazy) - that day i blamed it on the weight and on the aerodynamics (a Passat 2.0 TDI could outrun both).

However i think that the problem (as both were used) was more into the engine departement (the 5 Zylinder Diesel tend to soot up and decrease performance a lot if not taken care). Those engines are durable, but they suffer extremely from EGR problems (can be fixed, but on most used cars it simply is not fixed), alsow they might had to regenerate the DPF.... You shold keep that in mind. I lose quite a lot of torgue if DPF regeneration us due on my car now, so combine both worst case problems and the 210bhp engine might only deliver 350nm and 170bhp... (sooted EGR, sootet Boost sensor, and need a long drive to clean up DPF).

Sadly most users tend to scratch the aluminium interior with there keys and other stuff, that can seriously look like **** on a used car (idiots).
Agree about the interiors. This has put me off 2 Brera's so far.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I've got a 3.2 pro dive brera £500 a year road tax and shocking mpg. (25.4 mpg on a motorway trip to Cornwall from Bristol ). But do I love it? You bet I'd rather sell the wife wife than my Alfa

How much for the wife,mines knackered and ive been thinking of a new one ;) :biglaugh:

(i like the z4 a lot but id have a nice shiny Brera v6 all day long)

Reactions: goram

·
Registered
38,319 Posts

Yup, Mine was dented within weeks. What a ****ing idiot I am.

Or maybe Alfa shouldn't have made the console and door inserts out of
an aluminum/cheese amalgam?

Alternatively one can buy the car new if one don't like the state of the 2nd hand ones.

·
Registered
787 Posts
You guys should experience driving a 159 from my point of view, its great. First car so I've nothing to compare it to. Godsend perhaps?

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Yup, Mine was dented within weeks. What a ****ing idiot I am.

Or maybe Alfa shouldn't have made the console and door inserts out of
an aluminum/cheese amalgam?

Alternatively one can buy the car new if one don't like the state of the 2nd hand ones.
Didn't know this was a 'thing'. Mine's like new :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Didn't know this was a 'thing'. Mine's like new :p
Had a 2.2 z4 mk1 when they first came out, just bought a late 2.0 159 ti. Even on 19" tyres the Alfa is like driving an boulevard cruiser compared to the z4 run flats.
Look forward to seeing it every night but my 1.6 van would leave it standing to 60.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Had a 2.2 z4 mk1 when they first came out, just bought a late 2.0 159 ti. Even on 19" tyres the Alfa is like driving an boulevard cruiser compared to the z4 run flats.
Look forward to seeing it every night but my 1.6 van would leave it standing to 60.
Chalk and cheese.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
The 2.4 sounds quite good (at least inside the cabin) for a diesel when pushed.
The economy will very much depend on how you use it (like any car I guess) but I have found unlike many diesels it is more sensitive.

For example my 1.9 GT (lighter car) would easily get low 40's all the time and 50mpg on a run. The 159 will not beat (so far) 44mpg. However the 2.4 159 is (and it's subjective of course) miles ahead of my GT. I would only swap my 159 for a V6 GT. Never again the the 1.9 spanner box.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts