Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking for the perfect 156 GTA for a while now and a red saloon with the 'right' alloys (big holes, not german-esque multispokes ;) ) and low mileage has turned up.

Only thing is, it's got Selespeed transmission... is this a bad thing?!

I don't know much about the Selespeed, although I understand it's much better on the GTA in 6 speed guise than on the smaller engined 156's and 147's.

Should I be worried? I'm just a little concerned that it's something else to go wrong!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - is there anything in particular I should look out for?

And finally... just how good is the flappy paddle shift on the GTA?! Go on, tease me! :D

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
The actuator is completely different on the GTA Selespeed compared to the normal Selespeed.

Take it for a drive, if it all feels right go for it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hedge your bets...

Get an RAC (or simular) survey done as they come with a warranty, and if you have an option take the best after market warranty you can afford.

Its not just the actuators that go wrong, a number of gear casings crack too.

Like David said, try it, then if you love it get a warranty. I'd have one!

:)

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Selespead GTA's in the UK are all most unheard off - I think I read somewhere that 4 had been registered in the UK.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have a 147 GTA Sele, FANTASTIC !!!!!!

Take it for a drive, and see for yourself.

·
Registered
159 Posts
"Selespead GTA's in the UK are all most unheard off - I think I read somewhere that 4 had been registered in the UK"

Just 4?!

Well that makes only 3 on the road then because I bought the engine out of one of them which had been damaged and broken! I think they may still have the gearbox as I didnt require it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The SS system on the GTAs is way better than on the 2 litres.

Try it, you'll be hooked :D
Better???
Comparing Manual and SS (both GTA), how many seconds SS loses to manual in 0-100 kph test???
I read somewhere here that Selespeed takes 0.7sec to change a gear which is too slooooooooooooow , ...... i think

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
The Selespeed and the manual GTAs have the same test times according to my manual.

Apparently the GTA selespeed changes gear in .4 of a second, and 0.7s is the figure for earlier generation selespeed.
I did some timing of my own manual changes with telemetry when really going for it.
Looking at the power graphs from the data logger It was something like .1 of a second for clutch in and torque release, .1 to .2 of a second for the gearchange itself and clutch out, and .1 second for full resumption of torque.

So from full torque back to full torque was between 0.3 and .4 seconds, and I can tell you I was really trying when I got 0.3 of a second - it felt very hard on the gearbox - I'm sure the selespeed is much gentler not to mention a hell of a lot easier to do.

Cheers,
TB

Better???
Comparing Manual and SS (both GTA), how many seconds SS loses to manual in 0-100 kph test???
I read somewhere here that Selespeed takes 0.7sec to change a gear which is too slooooooooooooow , ...... i think

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Stoplooking and buy it ;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
The Selespeed and the manual GTAs have the same test times according to my manual.

Apparently the GTA selespeed changes gear in .4 of a second, and 0.7s is the figure for earlier generation selespeed.
I did some timing of my own manual changes with telemetry when really going for it.
Looking at the power graphs from the data logger It was something like .1 of a second for clutch in and torque release, .1 to .2 of a second for the gearchange itself and clutch out, and .1 second for full resumption of torque.

So from full torque back to full torque was between 0.3 and .4 seconds, and I can tell you I was really trying when I got 0.3 of a second - it felt very hard on the gearbox - I'm sure the selespeed is much gentler not to mention a hell of a lot easier to do.

Cheers,
TB
Thanks!!! You've said about earlier and later generations of SS!! Do all GTAs have the same generation selespeed??

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
I don't know, they all had faster gearchanges than the earlier non GTA selespeed versions though, its possible it might have been improved over time again and very unlikely it was made slower.

I think it probably can be taken as given that any GTA selespeed (147 or 156 GTA) will change up quickly enough for even keen enthusiasts.

Not to mention the selespeeds best feature, the downchange.Most people can't heel and toe , selespeed does this for you and very nicely too.

Do all GTAs have the same generation selespeed??

C

·
0 Posts
I'm running about in an X reg selespeed at the moment (2.0 not GTA) and I hate the gearbox on it!!!!!

Okay I'll admit the clutch needs calibrating but the up-changes arn't what you'd call smooth, the downchanges are brilliant and over 5.5k on full throtle the computer does bang another gear in with some violence resulting in a quicker shift.

For me, driving is as much about getting satisfaction out of doing something well, changing gear for instance, as it is about going quickly......

I also feel that not having a clutch takes some control away from the driver.

Its frustrating more than anything else.

C

·
0 Posts
Another thing, I've not done it myself but what happens if you're on a track and you spin it? In a normal car you can dip the clutch but does a selespeed do the same? If it doesn't, I'd hate to see the damage caused when an engine is forced to rotate backwards at 5000rpm......

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Normally you would be braking quite hard at that time, and so the wheels would be unable to go backwards if you were able to lock them under braking?
But Maybe the abs cuts in in reverse too ?

We need answers!
Wheres David C ? :lol:

Another thing, I've not done it myself but what happens if you're on a track and you spin it? In a normal car you can dip the clutch but does a selespeed do the same? If it doesn't, I'd hate to see the damage caused when an engine is forced to rotate backwards at 5000rpm......

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Guy's, get your focus on the stuff in the Tech forum by Paul Denyr. Got most of the answers to Selespeeds, if you have the time.zf

1 - 17 of 17 Posts