Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Old habits die hard and curiosity got the better of me. The car is in a massive scrappy in Inverkeithing and I needed to go there to get a rear wash/wipe motor for my gorgeous Golf so two birds n' all that.

Alfa Romeo Classifieds - Auctions - Alfa 166 Super 3.0 V6 - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

I'd posted it up last week from it's gumtree ad as I thought it was Rossolussos old car and I was right.

For anyone interested it's in a bit of a sorry state! The breaker got it as a main dealer part exchange in October and it's been lying in their yard since. They are trying to sell it complete but are going to break if it doesn't sell. Sadly all the paperwork, history, etc for the car has gone missing. The only documentation they have is the last MOT (which ran out in October) and the V5. Derek is down as the last owner which is a degree of comfort after all the work he did to it. I did find a hand written piece of paper in the car which had the ICS code though, tried it and it worked. There is one red flip key and one red master key.

We had to jump start it as the battery was flat but it turned over no problem and burst into life immediately. Lots of white smoke even for a Busso. The engine sounds a bit noisy though. I remember viewing this car nearly 4 years ago and it had a ticking noise from the top end which is still there (the belts, tensioners, etc were changed about 3 years ago though). It also sounds noisy from underneath the car when you listen to the engine. It came to up to temperature though and sat bang on 90 degrees. The engine quietened down when it warmed up.

Bodywork wise there are a couple of issues. Paint has flaked off from the back edge of both front wheel arches due to stone chips, the doors have the odd section of flaked off paint and the bumpers have the odd scrapes. The worst bit is the nearside sill cover which is split about halfway along the rear passenger door. It must have been jacked up and forced itself up though as it has removed a long section of paint from the metal sill above it (about 200cm long). The wheels are in not bad condition. The back tyres have plenty life left in them with evenn tyre wear but the fronts are scrubbed to the inside edge.

The interior could do with a good valet. The carpets are manky and the rear seats look like a dog has been living in them! The ICS and nav all work and the heater works fine. The foglight buttons don't illuminate in the car and I didn't check if they were working outside. The indicators don't flash on the dash either but do operate outside. The biggest problem the interior has is the passenger side front foot spa.A big section has been cut out the carpet under the foot mat and there are half a dozen newspapers stuffed in there to soak up the water - it is soaking!!!! I remember Derek having a problem with water getting in here but he obviously never solved it. All the electrics work in the car but both the heated seat switches are goosed and the rear window switches pop out there apeture, but they do both work the windows. The electric folding mirrors all work too.

All in it was quite sad to see the car in the state it was because when I drove it a couple of years ago it was going great. The guy is looking for £795 for it and when I asked him about offers he said £750 but if that didn't suit to make an offer as he might just accept. I don't see it being worth much past £300/400 to be honest but I doubt they will take that so it might well just get scrapped. It's a shame as the arm rest is in great condition!!

Out of interest he said he had another 166 breaking if anyone is looking for bits. I'm not sure the spec but he said it was pretty complete.

I've texted Rossolusso to get more info on the car so if he gets back in touch I'll post up any interesting information here incase anyone is interested. :thumbs:

·
Registered
10,893 Posts
Old habits die hard

The rear seats look like a dog has been living in them!

But both the heated seat switches are goosed.

The guy is looking for £795 for it and when I asked him about offers he said £750 but if that didn't suit to make an offer as he might just accept. I don't see it being worth much past £300/400 to be honest but I doubt they will take that so it might well just get scrapped. It's a shame as the arm rest is in great condition!!
Eye Ken.

IF you were a scrappy guard dog and had a choice of any what wood you pick....(Poss anything that sounds like a Golf now)

Now that is spooky Scotty.IIRC You have 2 spares:cheese:
New aircon fan not that long ago either.Well poss 2 years .How time flies.

Looks like Lucy with everything but the integrated phone ICS was an ebay bargain.

Pomeo

·
Registered
10,893 Posts
Eye know. Also have spare sills too. It's all falling into place.

She certainly was a bargain! I just want to know how you're managing to find time to drive the 3 of them!
Yes it sure is.

Yes she sure was.The difficulty is driving more than one at the same time although the insurance has to cover that..No such thing as a driver policy AFAIK yet like the good old Norwich Union Rider policy in the early 70's .12 guines covered me on any motor cycle of unlimited cc.Ah the good old days.
Just spent a few hours on confussed dot com trying to grab a deal as running 3 V6 166's isne cheap now.

Pomeo Off to get some shut eye and recall where that American 166 was last spotted.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Did you get any idea when they might start breaking it? I might pop over if it gets to that point.

£795? Having a giraffe! I'll probably not be asking much more than that for mine in a couple of months!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you get any idea when they might start breaking it? I might pop over if it gets to that point.

£795? Having a giraffe! I'll probably not be asking much more than that for mine in a couple of months!
Not sure but they have a 166 breaking at the moment so you could give them a call on that one. Not sure the spec though as I never went over to look at it. 01383 419151.

Yep, £795 is steep - I was offered the car when it was in better condition 2 years ago for £500!!!!!! There is a Super with 6 months tax and MOT on it over in Ayr just now for £595 so it put it in perspective!

·
Registered
10,893 Posts
There is a Super with 6 months tax and MOT on it over in Ayr just now for £595 so it put it in perspective!
Gonna no day that.:tut::D

Pomeo

Must reist till the right FL arrives on the scene.:cheese:
Unfortunately those days are gone gone gone.

Has it a int phone...no no no...

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it might be his 166 - he bought the 164 to replace the 166!

It's a very nice 166 which I seen at one of the shows last year.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts