Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Allams in Epsom today and had a look at the MiTo- as with everywhere else a Etna Black Veloce.

Firstly, in respect of the interior materials I found them to be very good with attractive controls and a 'sporty' steering wheel.

I read someone's review where they said the interior was a mish-mash of materials - but, save for one item, I totally disagree.

I've also recently road tested a Mini Cooper S and the cloth used in the seats for the MiTo is much nicer, IMHO, than the Cooper S.

In respect of interior space there is ample of room. My wife positioned the front passenger seat where she would normally have it; and I then got in the back - and even for full-sized adults they would not be squashed in the back.

I also though the boot was of adequate size - you could certainly fit 2 full-sized suite cases in therfe plus some other bags.

In respect of the 17" horse-shoe wheels although they don't look particularly big - I wouldn't say they look too small either but acceptable.

The only minor criticisms were as follows:

1) There is a silver roundel on the gear knob what has the gear positions embossed on it. This looks cheap and its actually is very hard to read the embossing;

2) The bonnet no-longer has hydraulic struts/hinge to hold it open but instead you have to rely on a third manual strut to hold it open - just like on a 'normal' car; and

3) The rear window is rather small and you don't see much out of it - so I think I'll be spec-ing rear parking sensors.

As for looks - its a great looking car and I really can't understand peoples criticism of it.

All I can say is that I'm going to be one of the 1st in the queue when it comes to putting deposits down for the GTA :) :) :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
I went and had a look today aswell, thought that it was spot on and wish I could afford one. The etna black colour is nice, probably how I would have it, the red metallic shine when the light catches it is great. It is different enough from any other supermini out there and if you took all the badges off of it, you would still know that its an alfa. It looks exactly a million times better in the flesh than in the pics, even the front looks right. The dealer said that he had already taken orders for a few of them as at 2pm today, and that alfa are expecting a hefty order book by launch date. All in all, very impressed.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
We went and had a look yesterday - mixed feelings, to be honest.

I think it's definitely a lot better looking in real life than the pictures, but there are a few things that I just didn't like.

The gearlever bling is a bit cheap and nasty looking (reminded me of the Octavia vRS) and I didn't like the acres of shiny smooth silver plastic on the steering wheel and around the stereo. The interior door pulls are just hard-ish plastic, not the rubberised plastic in the 147. Also the heater vents are nicely stylised, but they open with a really cheap-feeling 'click'.

I think it's a mistake to have the Blue&Me socket where it is - in the 159 it's in the glovebox, so no-one can see you've got a memory stick in it, but in the MiTo it's in plain view.

The standard 17" wheels are much too small, and I'm not sure the 18" would be much better - part of the problem is that the wheels look to be recessed too far within the arches, as if the body of the car is half-a-size bigger than the chassis.

It's no big deal, but the bonnet strut is a bit cheap too, given that the car itself isn't a bargain-basement price. I kind of got the feeling that the car was built down to a price, even though it was the current top-spec car we were looking at.

So although the overall look of the car is far better than I thought it might be, there are enough silly little things wrong with it ('wrong' is too strong a word, but you know what I mean) that I think we might hang on to the 147 for a while yet.

In fact, when we were leaving the showroom we both felt that the 147 Ducati parked beside it was a better-looking car, regardless of the fact that it won't be built as well and it's at least a generation out of date...

It's a shame - I was worried I might hate it, and I definitely don't. But at the same time, I wanted to think it was great, and again I definitely don't. Maybe it's a great drive and none of the above will seem important, time will tell.

So far, though - it's not awful, it's just OK, and I'm not sure that's enough.

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
I can see what you're saying Jamie, but I disagree with your comment on the 147 looking better. Unfortunately it's beginning to date now; even Sheona said so yesterday when she saw the Ducati parked next to the Mito.

M

·
0 Posts
I had a look at one today and I do agree it looks much better in the flesh than in the pics.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I can see what you're saying Jamie, but I disagree with your comment on the 147 looking better. Unfortunately it's beginning to date now; even Sheona said so yesterday when she saw the Ducati parked next to the Mito.
Oh, the 147 is dated - no question about that, it's been overdue replacement for a while.

The disappointment for me (us) is that the MiTo looks newer, but not better. It's all just opinion, though. :)

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, the 147 is dated - no question about that, it's been overdue replacement for a while.

The disappointment for me (us) is that the MiTo looks newer, but not better. It's all just opinion, though. :)
Well - the world would be a boring place if we all liked the same thing :) :) :)

·
Registered
631 Posts
I went along to Marshalls of Hitchin yesterday (been away with friends to watch the London to Brighton run this morning) with a sceptical view as I think I wanted to put myself off for the Abarth 500. No such luck! The Etna Black looks fantastic and as echoed on here this weekend looks so much better in the metal. A few niggles which is why I am having a contemplatory week before making a deposit on that or the A500 next weekend.

Utterly impractical, boot space is badly designed, no glove box and few cubby holes.

1) Poor visibility to the rear and I can't see the bonnet from my normal driving position so RPS a definite.
2)That ghastly bling gear knob wtf is that all about seems so out of place with the rest of the car.
3) 17" wheels look oddly look tiny but I really don't want 18"s I hate the ones on my 159.
4) Doors are huge a big problem as I park between 2 walls.

Saying that the lines are fantastic there is a lot I will forgive for how great she looks outside. As soon as I got in I found a comfortable driving position and really just wanted the keys and to go. Other than the gear knob I loved the interior, yes Alfa hasn't coated everywhere with that rubberised plastic which is considered ‘top quality’ in cars at the moment, but I'm glad as most cars I've had it in look tatty quickly.
So 1 week to convince myself, next Saturday I will put a deposit down but whether it is a 1.4 120bhp Veloce or an Abarth 500 we shall see.....

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
snip...

Utterly impractical, boot space is badly designed, no glove box and few cubby holes.

snip....
What do you expect..it is an Alfa Romeo....I have owned them since 1979...none have been practical including my current 147......The Glove box , in which, probably does not even hold one glove ;)

·
Registered
631 Posts
To be honest if it was practical I would have been shocked, I think of Alfas as exquisitely designed Italian handbags for men, can't fit sod all in them but looks fantastic and anyone who knows about them is jealous :) In all seriousness this really isn't to much of an issue for me as I rarely have more than a single passenger.

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
To be honest if it was practical I would have been shocked, I think of Alfas as exquisitely designed Italian handbags for men, can't fit sod all in them but looks fantastic and anyone who knows about them is jealous :) In all seriousness this really isn't to much of an issue for me as I rarely have more than a single passenger.
An Alfa Romeo is an Alfa Romeo no matter what the underpinnings..an Abarth 500 is just a FIAT ...nice but not an Alfa Romeo ;) :lol:

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
To consider a Fiat 500 seriously and then say the boot space in a Mito is poor is very odd. The boot in the 500 is handbag shaped and the parcel shelf is about 4" wide - in fact the boot space is probably the reason my wife won't get a 500, despite the fact she loves the car otherwise. The boot in the Mito is perfectly useable; the only downside being the high lip at the rear.

A

·
0 Posts
the mito looks way better than the 500.
will be buying the mito for sure.

·
Registered
610 Posts
My 156 Sportwagon is very practical and my '66 Duetto was even more practical bringing home heaps of 2.4m 110x45 internal studs for the house reno on many an occasions from Bunnings.

The Arbarth looks nice, having tooled around the Amalfi in a 1.2 Fiat500 last month i can confirm the build quality is leaps and bounds on any Fiat i've ever seen. I'd have one, if i was staying in Amalfi/London.

<edit>
i've just popped into HR Owen and had a gander at the new Mito. It looks amazing in the flesh (etna black). The build quality is right up there with Audi in my opinion, really solid - I was really impressed wasnt expecting interior build quality as well as gorgeous looks. There's also heaps of rear seat space (kidniks/babyseats) although at a price.. The boot is smaller than the Fiat500 (has the same annoying 159sportwagon hlip).. I'd go the Arbarth if you need to put anything of anysize in the boot (seriously).

·
Registered
631 Posts
To consider a Fiat 500 seriously and then say the boot space in a Mito is poor is very odd.
Ah but the 500 is a smaller car so I wouldn't expect it to have a good sized boot. Actually the 500 boot is fine, the Mito's is an odd shape and yes that lip is ridiculously high and it wouldn't fit 2 large suitcases easily. Saying that the 159 doesn't either :)

As to the styling it's slinky vs cute and I've loved the the 500 since I first saw one. The Mito also seems very large for the car bracket it's in and that may count against it for me. It's the incredible width of the car: 500 163cm Mito 172cm 159 183cm I was amazed the 159 is only 9cm wider. The GT is only 4 cm wider :eek:

I do love the Mito and I'm more than likely going to go for it over the 500 but I'm just arguing with myself out loud tbh :rolleyes:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Had a look at the MiTo on Saturday. I must say as one of the (many) people who voiced concerns over the looks (especially the front) I liked it. It is a lot better looking in the flesh than in the photos.

The 17" wheels did look odd somehow and just seemed a little small for the car but that and the other minor issues mentioned previously, there is nothing that would put me off buying one. No car is perfect and if they were we would all be driving around in identical cars with nothing to compare!

What really sealed it for me was the amount of room in the back! I set up the seats to my driving position and then climbed in the back, and while this was no easy task, once there I was really impressed with the room. (Remember I have a GTV) Ample room for the kids and as I won't ever be in the back then I would be quite satisfied. Driving position was good and the cabin felt like a good place to be. Boot space is not an issue as this is a second car and a little fun toy for me.

I would like to hear one fired up and obviously would only order one subject to test drive but I am waiting to see what kind of deal my local dealer will offer and I might well be tempted to go for it!

It's no Alfasud for sure but then, in four years time you won't be left with four wheels, engine and gearbox surrounded by a pile of rust on your drive.

Having seen the MiTo in the flesh I like it. I like it a lot!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts