Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've never really paid much attention to Alfas before - sorry to have to admit that.
But I'm ready for throwing in my Toyota Avensis and looking for something a bit more funky and quick.

Anyways, I had a quick glance at a 2.4 jtdm earlier today, and love the looks of it and the interior.

Only thing is though - when the guy started it up, it sounded very very diesel. I've had diesels myself in the past, but I think this one sounded more like a farmyard vehicle than the cars I've tried before (although they only had 1.9 engines in).

Also - for maybe the first 10 seconds, there sounded like a bit of a metallic spinning sound too. But that went off after a little while.

With the accelerator revved just while the car was in neutral, I could hear the turbo winding down after letting off the peddle.

Is this all quite normal. There were 32,000 on the clock of this car and it was a 210bhp variety.

TBH...the noise doesn't bother me. I just would like to know if they all sound like this before I go and buy a bad example.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I believe its normal that the engine is a bit loud when he is cold. There are some vibrations too. But I am sure that Alfa diesel is guiet then VW 2.0tdi (not commonrail) or Opel (Isuzu) engines. But problably is louder then Renault dci, maybe Hdi too. But its 2.4l. So is bigger. For turbo I dont know. In VW diesel I was hear when it was acceleraiting.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Diesel Alfa's = the sad sound of compromise:lol:

;)

·
Registered
399 Posts
The 2.4 does sound like a tractor on a cold start, but when you boot it, all is forgiven as you get a meaty growl not found on other diesels.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
The 2.4 does sound like a tractor on a cold start, but when you boot it, all is forgiven as you get a meaty growl not found on other diesels.
Totally agree, after driving my uncles Golf TDI and dads Merc E270 CDI the Alfa is definetly 1000x better on cold start and take off. The acceleration sounds nearly "Alfaish"

·
Registered
67 Posts
My 2.4 sounds like a taxi on cold start, a sports car while revving at speed (2500 revs, at say 50 in 4th gear) and a Grand tourer while cruising at 70 on motorway.

3 cars in one!! ;-)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey.

Thanks folks - that's very reassuring.
One other thing I remember too - there was a yellow light on the dash board when the guy started the car up. I didn't even notice it, but he pointed my attention to it and said that it is only on because its from a cold start and will go off after the car is driven for a couple of minutes.

He explained it, but I forgot what he said. Something about a blockage in the pipes indicator or something.

Anyone know what this is?

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Probably the particulate filter. Goes after a good thrashing, or it could be the EGR valve which will needs to be replaced or at least cleaned.

Dirty diesels;)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hey.

I didn't even notice it, but he pointed my attention to it and said that it is only on because its from a cold start and will go off after the car is driven for a couple of minutes.

He explained it, but I forgot what he said. Something about a blockage in the pipes indicator or something.

Anyone know what this is?
Don't know, but it doesn't sound right. On my Brera 2.4 JTDm the only warning once it's started is the 'possible ice on road' frost indicator when the outside temp is below 3 degrees.

R

·
0 Posts
The only yellow light is the MIL lamp(malfunction indicator lamp) all the others are red for handbrake etc. Get them to plug into it and show you the fault code and put it right. I'm not current on the newer cars but the older cars only light the MIL when there is a significant fault. 159 is a really nice looking motor no matter what engine!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmmm.
sorry I cant describe it much better. Is there anywhere on the web that shows a summary of all the warning indicators so I can see if I can pick it out?

It was an animated picture on the computer display in between the rev counter and speedo.
I think it was a little yellow wire frame box with some kind of sparks in it?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
hmmm.
sorry I cant describe it much better. Is there anywhere on the web that shows a summary of all the warning indicators so I can see if I can pick it out?

It was an animated picture on the computer display in between the rev counter and speedo.
I think it was a little yellow wire frame box with some kind of sparks in it?
Perhaps the coil light??? mine goes out immediately after i press the Start button. but there is usually a 1 sec lag after the key fob is inserted.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Best thing you can mate it go and have a look at least 3 more 159's, get some test drives in, and maybe try and drive a quite new one. You'll be able to compare them all and familiarise yourself with them.

I drove 3 and and bought the third one. Glad I waited as the 1st didnt seem quite right comparing it now to the one I have.

·
Registered
253 Posts
mine sounds like a tractor when cold but pulls like a train. On a serious note I had what sounded like a monkey bouncing a bag of spanners round under the bonnet when starting from cold. Turned out a change in power steering fluid sorted it out totally. Now back to clacking and piston slap until warming up then like most diesels. Remember you have 25% more metalwork bouncing up and down than a 4 cyl. Mind you from inside can't here it nearly as much, infact the best noise is the 5 cylinder growl when the beast is let loose.

I tried 2; one was very turbine sounding - this one isn't. Amazing there can be so many big differences really.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts