Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a bit of a long story, but I parked the 166 in a parking space at dusk and popped into the chemist, came back and noticed that the mirror was bent forward, thought nothing of it and started driving home. About one k from home I noticed the steering seemed a bit out, and about the same time run out of petrol. The gauge wasn't beyond empty, the trip meter was showing 31km to go. Anyway, parked it at the side of the road and walked home. I got a lift back up to the service station a few hours later, came back and then noticed that every single panel on the right hand side was stove in, presumably by something bus sized and shaped. Drove it home and it was crabbing badly, so checked the wheels, and the right rear wheel was noticeably sticking out. I am assuming the damage was done outside the chemists, but I hadn't noticed it at the time. And too late to look around for witnesses.

I contacted the insurance company, fearing that the car was going to be written off. They didn't seem to be that concerned about hit and run buses, just told me to take it to the panel beaters for a assessment. It was a holiday weekend, so I spent four days contemplating my car's sudden demise, cut down in its prime while it should have been enjoying a comfortable middle age. It was so unfair, here today, gone tomorrow. You never know when the Grim Reaper will appear. I was also wondering what on earth I would replace it with. Alfa 166 loyalists will be pleased to know that after long consideration, the only that would do was another 166, but this time a Facelift would fit the bill. But its a pain having to fork a whole lot of money again.

But it looks like they are going to repair it, even though they are sourcing two doors from the breakers and a new wing from Italy. The old girl deserves another chance. it also means that 10 years of dings and scrapes will be sorted out, including a nasty new one acquired only two weeks ago. Apparently the assessor was sort of taken by the car. Any 166 deserves another chance. Just hoping now the assessor didn't miss any damage to the rear suspension. It needed a wheel alignment. but nothing so drastic.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Good to hear you got a human assessor. Usually they send muppets who's sole purpose in life is to deprive you of any joy you might get from owning a car.

Its a pet hate of mine.... people damaging cars and leaving the scene. Used to happen outside my work with people backing out of spaces and hitting parked cars. I took numbers a few times and passed them on when the owners returned. One woman came back in a week later with a bottle of wine as she said most people wouldn't have bothered.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ob ********

They're writing it off. Insured for "market value". Find out tomorrow how much change I will get from a fiver

1 - 5 of 5 Posts