• I have no muscles :(

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your favourite American muscle car?

At the moment mine's a '73 Mustang Mach 1.

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
RicksAlfas said:
Plymouth Road Runner Superbird.
:D

Beep beep! :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
Ther can be only one.........

;)

(cheers for the reszie Pasi! :p )

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
A friend of mine has a Dodge Charger ... it's a mad vehicle ;)

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Alfa20V said:
Ther can be only one.........

;)

(cheers for the reszie Pasi! :p )
You're welcome :)

;)

·
Registered
31,304 Posts

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
I'm not too familiar with Yank tanks; does a Chevy Impala count as a muscle car? Or is it just the pimp's choice....? :)

I also remember an old American car I saw ages ago and liked, an Eldorado something-or-other; it was very flash, with big fins and such (I'll research it later, if I have time...)

- Lips

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alfa20V said:
Yeah baby, yeah!
That would be great fun (until you had to break or turn into a corner)
They don't have corners in the US so it would be ok. ;)

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
John Burns said:
They don't have corners in the US so it would be ok. ;)
Does everything in the US run in straight lines :eek: :eek: :confused:
Mr Burns, you're making me re-think the meaning of the universe with that statement :eek:

;)

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alfa20V said:
Does everything in the US run in straight lines :eek: :eek: :confused:
Mr Burns, you're making me re-think the meaning of the universe with that statement :eek:

;)
Meh, more or less. :D

·
Super Moderator
44,766 Posts
UnpredictableLips said:
I also remember an old American car I saw ages ago and liked, an Eldorado something-or-other; it was very flash, with big fins and such (I'll research it later, if I have time...)

- Lips
Did it have big chandeliers attached to each front wing, and a pair of bullhorns at the front? ;)

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Lips,

About Impalas being muscle cars -- it depends. Mostly they're not. A few of the early SS Impalas sort of fall into that territory, although by the time the late late '60s/early '70s* hit -- the true muscle car era -- the Impala was just a large family car. Personally I've never seen the appeal in most of them, but the late '50s Bel Air convertibles which are a real American icon, are going for stupidly huge sums of money at auction these days, even if I wouldn't call them true muscle cars.

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/chevrolet-impala/chevrolet-impala-history-1.shtml
http://www.impalasuperstore.com/naisso/history/history03.asp

As for the other car you're thinking of, it was likely a Cadillac (probably a 1955), and again, not really a muscle car.
http://vintagecars.about.com/od/greatcars/p/profile_59eldo.htm
http://www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/eld53-55.htm

As for the General Lee, there's still a guy around town who has a Charger done up in that paint scheme. The car is often found parked at the local mall.

*While estimates about the true muscle car era can be flexible, 1968 or more commonly 1969 is generally considered the start of that period. It officially ended with the OPEC oil crisis in 1973.
--Toronto

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Back in the '70s these sounded absolutely fantasic and left burning rubber for hundreds of feet ... :D

The GT-HO Phase 3 was the ultimate Ford Australia muscle car in 1971.
Powered by a heavily modified 351 Cleveland motor, with 4 speed top-loader, and detroit locker 9" diff, the GT-HO delivered the goods. It was also equipped with special brakes and handling package, plus a 36 gallon fuel tank and functional "shaker" hood scoop.

The GT-HO 351 motor produced 380HP (285KW), and was fitted with a 6,150RPM rev limiter. With the rev limiter disabled, it would pull 7,000+ RPM, even in 4th gear.

0 - 60 MPH..... 6.4 seconds

0 - 100 MPH..... 14.6 seconds

Standing 1/4 mile..... 14.4 seconds

Top speed......145 MPH, while bouncing off the factory-set 6,150 RPM rev limiter. With rev limiter disconnected, around 155 MPH

NB picture is of a 1974 GT

·
Premium Member
38,310 Posts
AFAIK, the Mustang, Camaro and Firebird were pony cars, not muscle cars.

The Chevelle, GTO, Superbird, etc. were muscle cars. :D

In short, I can't decide which one I'd choose. :D

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Antonio Chico said:
AFAIK, the Mustang, Camaro and Firebird were pony cars, not muscle cars.

The Chevelle, GTO, Superbird, etc. were muscle cars. :D

Nerd alert. ;) :p :)

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
The Mustang started out as a pony car, moved solidly into muscle car territory, then scaled back down into econo/sports coupe categories, and eventually worked its way back to its pony car roots, and has pretty stayed there for the past few generations. The return to its pony car beginnings is why the car is still around.

While I like the idea of the horsepower of the muscle car Mustangs I find the excess and heaviness in the styling a bit much. I prefer the lighter pony car look. That said, the Mustang was the best looking muscle car out there. It had had a refinement and balance and style that most of the other cars lacked. See that ugly thing Stori posted ;) as a very good example of the lack of styling and refinement. :cheese:

The Camaro and the Firebird started out as pony cars, moved into the sports car realm and they tried to stay forever. The problem is that GM wouldn't allow them to reach their potential as sports cars because it didn't want competition for the Corvette. At the same time, it didn't want to return the F-bodies to their pony car roots. In the end they significantly over-priced the over-grown pony cars cars as pure sports cars, which killed the market. If GM had decided to return to chasing the pony car market, had dropped the prices a bit, then drivers would have had a real choice. It was one of the stupidest moves GM has made in a long, long time.

AMC also had a version of a muscle car that I don't see listed in the poll. Again, it's not really my cup of tea but the prices for those things are going through the roof as the collectors are scrounging up anything muscle car these days.
--Toronto

1 - 20 of 37 Posts