Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK this is a long shot, but you never know. I'm on the hunt for a replacement family car, specifically a Renault Grand Scenic 1.9 Diesel.

No jokes about Renault reliability and flashing dash lights, remember we're all Alfa owners in her ;)

Some kid decided to run into the back of our families one whilst it was parked up last night. It's wheels are now pointing in different directions and half the back is missing so will be off to the car park in the sky. I'm looking for a replacement, ideally from a seller in the Southeast or South Central area. on the off chance someone's selling one, do feel free to drop me a line... 01273 499 015 (Andy) :thumbs:

·
Registered
39,148 Posts
I just sold a Clio 172 and came back to Alfa because I needed something reliable.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I've had more renaults than I care to remember. Admittedly, they have been older models...i.e 2 x 4's, 3x 5's', a six, an 11, 3x 16's, a twenty and a 25. Also a plethora of citroens, inc. BX, CX, C3 etc. Get the right one and it will serve you well.

·
Registered
39,148 Posts
They are as good as anything else to be honest, as long as they have been looked after and not thrashed.

Having said that the build quality on my Clio was pretty Fisher Price and the electrical wiring would have made an Italian electrician wince.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
They are s***! :lol:

But not as bad a Citroens.

"Citroen C6" is French for "Those English will buy any old crap."

·
Registered
39,148 Posts
Citroen is Dutch for Lemon.

But I have never owned one so couldn't possibly comment...

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
They are s***! :lol:

But not as bad a Citroens.

"Citroen C6" is French for "Those English will buy any old crap."
Only had one French car. Worst car I've ever owned.. well except for maybe a Volvo three dorky :lol:

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
French cars aren't that bad anymore. The early 2000s seemed to be a bad stage - Peugeot 307 was an absolute dog of a car, Citroens around the same age were iffy (Mk1 C5 & C3), and Renault hardly excelled themselves with quality on the Laguna II & big arsed Megane. I'd say they used to be quite a bit worse than Fiat/Alfa, but they've improved a bit quicker than Fiat/Alfa lately - I don't know if they have long term mechanical durability completely sorted (Fiat Group engines seem better), but the French interiors feel better built than the Italians, especially Pug/Citroen :wow:

I had a 1992 Clio 1.4 RT. It needed a lot of things repaired on it but was 9/10 years old with over 100k on it when I had it. Once I'd fixed everything it ran without any problem for 9 months till I sold it. My Parents Laguna II 1.9 DCi was extremely reliable for the 8 years/75k miles they had it. It had a weeping turbo changed at 16k miles but after that it only needed a couple of trackrods & window regulators in the entire 8 years. Similarly my Sisters Citroen C2 VTS HDi, Peugeot 206 1.1, 207 HDi & her husbands 206 HDi van have caused no bother, the latter getting over 150k on it. :beer:

However, I had an 02 plate Clio 1.4 16v & it was a pig of a car. The car stopped recognising the key, rear wiper wouldn't switch off, coil packs went, airbag wiring came out from under the seats, it shredded its fan belt, used to cut out when slowing down on motorway slip roads - all in 18 months/23k miles. I gave up with it & handed it back to Renault in the end. :irked:

Renaults customer service was better than Alfa, and the one terrible French car out of many is similar to the one bad Alfa we've had out of a handful of Fiats/Alfas. Both have been better than Vauxhall though! I'd try and stretch to the current shape Grand Scenic, think it was introduced around 2009, as they seem quite vastly improved in terms of quality over the previous one.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
You guys are keeping me amused, I wouldn't have expected anything less :biglaugh: Loved the Scenic, previously I've had a Traffic camper too. It was so basic - I think my lawnmower had more technology on it – on the upside you could always fix it with a spanner and some gaffer tape.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts