Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used Longlife Exhausts in Stone Gloucestershire I have just booked in for a cat back stainless system and have been quoted £299 inc vat & fitting.
The cheapest mild steel system I could get was £250 inc vat & fitting.
Is this good are they a good company

S

·
0 Posts
Never heard of them, but as with all outfits, look around on arrival,if the place look shady and is run by grease onkeys carrying big hammers to get stuff to fit, run away.

All garages give a first impression, normally the right one!

M

·
0 Posts
Spark, I just had fitted a cat back mild steel system. It cost £119 from National Tyres and is all in one piece. Has the chrome doodah on the end so looks the same as the OE part.

Marlon

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had the work done Tuesday I now have a very nice Stainless system built from scratch with a 4 inch "letter box" tailpipe.
The people in the garage could not have been nicer (even got a free courtesy car)
I thoroughly recommend them

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hello all

I'm being told varying details of what I need, and I'm getting wild price differences...

My back box has come away at the weld. My system has (from what I can make out under the car):
Cat > flange > 1st box > flange > 2nd box which leads without a join to the back box

National Tyres in St Albans will do a back box alone for £194, wanting a further £184 for 'middle section' - nothing near Marlon's great price. A stainless system from Top Gear St Albans want £380, Alfa Aid (mild steel) £350, but then my local trade supplier (not fitted) wanting just £120 for mild steel system

Any advice?

W

·
0 Posts
Ok, I'm confused, thought you said it was the sleeve fitting not flange and the boxes ARE available seperately???

Bought a mild steel system for the Twinny a couple of years back, £200 inc. fitting but prices should have come down a lot.

wrinx

·
Registered
389 Posts
Sorry Wrinx, I'm going round the twist with this maybe :) I've amended the post above and the wanted section post

It seems I'm being told different things by all the suppliers. I was toying with buying an aftermarket 'performance' job but I can't choose after reading all the items in the forum. Money's tight and the car's getting tired so I'm not wanting to dig too deep into pocket...

I've been offered a VGC used system from a 1.8 16v but it's sleeved from cat-back so that's no good for me I guess.

W

·
0 Posts
J, are you sure yours is a flange fitting to the cat??? Its a 16v and should be the sleeve fitting.........I'm seriously confused now.

Back boxes are available seperately, mine was from TIMEX who supply most of the trade round here.

wrinx

T

·
0 Posts
I've got a flanges on either side of the cat on my 2.0L 16V widebody; I believe that flanges were used on MY 95 cars, mine was built in April '96!

Get a Ragazzon group N exhaust system like me!!! Straight through, no boxes, sweet as you like!!! I think they do st.steel and mild steel. my full system was around £800 I think and included two pipes, rear DTM muffler and all fittings (no gaskets though :( )

Hope this helps,

T.

I

·
0 Posts
£800?! eek! If the small article in Auto Italia this month is to be believed Long Life Exhausts could do a system (your choice of spec) for much less than that.

Ian

T

·
0 Posts
Oops, wild overestimation!!!
I just checked the receipt and I spent £440+VAT but then I had to have it installed too 'cause I'm too lazy (and I don't have a 2 post either!)

T.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Thanks all

Few that's better! £800 is more than my car's worth in Glass' guide!

The 1.8 16v system owner was only asking £70 so that would leave me some pennies to do up the kitchen :)

David Thomas Garages are talking £190ish, could fit it during MOT time next week.

Cheers

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nordic
No I just happened to be returning from Brighton and managed to get the car booked in at the Carshalton branch

C

·
0 Posts
Both me and my brother were thinking about this for our 155s. We were looking at the Raggazon exhausts and considering the S/S front pipe without silencer, S/S centre section without silencer and S/S rear silencer back box with oval tailpipe.

Are these decent quality and a good fit?

Would a SuperSprint cat replacement pipe fit the Raggazon front pipe? If not, we were looking at making our own using the outer casing from an old cat, pack it with wire wool, then tack weld it over the top so it at least looks half convincing to a traffic cop.

Obviously, we'd have to take it back off at MOT time or find a friendly wink MOT station.

We've also looked at the custom S/S exhausts that Tyrespot in Newcastle are doing. The lads are helpful enough and seem to know what they're doing so I'd be interested to know what bore is usual for 155 performance exhausts in case I end up with a Max Power special.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts