Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was away for a week and parked the car at Gatwick North long-term parking. Previous to this my car has been parked in a garage and driven every day.

So I feared the worse for no reason but it's an Alfa and it had been cold, wet and damp.

No problem. Not only was my off-side plate recognised by the entry scanner but I upon my return (at 2 in the morning) the battery was fully operational, the blowers cleared all the windows and everything worked great.

Not sure why I doubted but my confidence has grown immeasurably.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Going to NZ for a month soon and wondered how the Giulia would bear up for so long?
Any suggestions anyone? :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
I don't think being un-used for a month is anything to worry about. Perhaps just security reasons where to put keys, or to give a spare set of keys to someone you trust.

Enjoy your time in NZ. Stay safe on the roads.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Check what the owners manual says.

For my 156 is says to not apply handbrake. Chock the wheels, store in dry location under cover. Slightly open windows. Pump up tyres a little more than normal. Disable the alarm. Remove the battery from car and put on a charger. Do not drain the coolant. Also to apply a good quality wax over the car and make sure it is clean.

I think that is more for 3 months or more. So for one month, probably nothing really needs doing.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Just make sure the tank is fully filled to prevent degradation of petrol as much as possible....
Other then that you don't really need to do anything special

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi
I am going to Australia between 5th November and December 2nd. My car will be on my drive. Is there any benefit from locking car on the door lock, so deactivating the alarm and helping to prevent battery run down?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Just make sure the tank is fully filled to prevent degradation of petrol as much as possible....
I think I'd do the opposite, ie park it with a very nearly empty tank, just enough to drive to the nearest filling station on return and then brim the tank.

Andy

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
I think I'd do the opposite, ie park it with a very nearly empty tank, just enough to drive to the nearest filling station on return and then brim the tank.

Andy
That's contrary to all the recommendations.... Petrol goes bad under the influence of air. Also you run the risk of damp/rust....
So you want as little air in there as possible.

However, that said, I don't think 1 month will be a big deal either way.....

https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp-country/en_au/products-services/fuels/opal-fuel/Opal-factsheet-storagehandling.pdf

·
Registered
29,993 Posts
That's contrary to all the recommendations.... Petrol goes bad under the influence of air. Also you run the risk of damp/rust....

and I'm sure the tank is plastic, so very little chance of it rusting.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts

Yes, I agree that filling the tank is the right thing to do for a really long lay up. I'd regard 3-6 months as the time when special precautions need to be taken.

I've gone for as long as 6 weeks without even starting my Giulia and I've never done more than to connect a trickle charger when it was going to be more than 2 weeks.

Andy

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Hi Guys
Thanks for all the advice- very useful. One more piece of advice please.

Can you recommend a trickle charger that would do the job?

Thanks again
Doesn't really matter, most modern chargers will do.
However, Alfa have an Alfa branded one as accessory for giulia/stelvio, that is actually a rebranded CTEK. (I think the CT5 or MXS 5.0 ? )
https://www.alfaaccessories.com/battery-charger-and-conditioner
You can also get a CTEK directly of course, they have good reviews ( https://www.ctek.com/products ) . The Alfa one does not have a high charging current, but it's fine for trickle charging and slow charging.
Haven't checked, but CTEK is probably cheaper ;)

I have a GYSFLASH myself (gysflash 8.12)
Arc Welding, Battery Chargers & Body Repair | GYS

·
Registered
292 Posts
Have left my 10 year old Brera S for over 2 and 3 weeks when I visited Cuba and Australia in November on two different years. Both times the Brera started instantly and had no issues. I'm sure the modern cars will be fine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts