Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the Giulia was launched Northgate Alfa Romeo closed their Alfa Romeo specific showroom and amalgamated with the larger Northgate Garage Fiat/Jeep site.

I had a letter from Northgate Garage last week saying that they will no longer supply new Alfa Romeos.

Canterbury used to be an Alfa popular spot, from way back when the dealer was Motorway Sports Cars (Lotus and Alfa Romeo) and then from the 156 onwards era it was Northgate Alfa Romeo.

Can't blame them for giving up if the Alfas are taking up space and not shifting...

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
That's sad... always viewed their showroom as one of the sites to see in Canterbury. And didn't they sponsor Rob Austin in BTCC?

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
That's a shame. I visited their standalone Alfa showroom in Canterbury a few years back whilst visiting a friend in Whitstable, seemed very laid back and the staff I spoke to very helpful despite knowing I wasn't local. I actually would've gone back there to purchase as a result of this.

I saw they'd moved to the Fiat showroom a while later and did wonder how long it'd be before Kent lost one of the Alfa dealers - they are unusually well catered for compared to other counties, after all. When Thames in Tunbridge Wells joined Lipscomb and Ancaster in having the new corporate look I did wonder if Northgate would go.

Are Northgate giving up Jeep as well, or just Alfa?

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Just looked on Jeep's website and Northgate are no longer listed on there either, so looks like they're just aftersales for Alfa & Jeep and sales for Fiat & Abarth. Probably something to do with FCA wanting their Alfa/Jeep dealers to pay for costly refits to bring them up to the latest corporate look. Whilst admirable from an improving image viewpoint, you can understand why several dealers have let the Alfa franchise go rather than pay-up - it'd take an awful lot of months of selling half a dozen examples of Alfa's very limited range to pay back the no doubt huge upgrade costs, after all.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
About 25 years ago Alfa stopped using some very well respected family run dealerships and adopted a corporate look. A retrograde step as a lot of expertise and service was sacrificed and not replaced. Staff were friendly and helpful, now they (though not all) could just as well be selling double-glazing or solar panels.

·
Registered
33,733 Posts
The service staff at the main dealer I use are friendly and knowledgeable. The corporate look is much improved too!
I still find it odd when people refer to going to a dealership as “taking their car to Alfa” when the place on the signage says the name of the franchisee such as Ancaster or Lipscombe.
Maybe they should follow what Audi did years ago and have Croydon Alfa Romeo etc?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Was talking the other day to a guy who worked in a Fiat / Alfa main dealer until a few weeks ago, and he reckoned FCA are squeezing margins for dealers so they're not renewing their agreements. No idea if that's correct.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts