Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After six and a half years,my car battery finally needed replacing,for the first time during my ownership.

The old battery had a long red sticker with all the safety symbols(wear goggles,danger acid,etc),but what got me thinking was the fact this sticker was emblazoned with "Alfa Romeo".

Could this be the original battery ?

A little bit of research on the web,revealed that the age of a battery can be found by a stamped code on the battery that usually starts with a letter,A = January,B = February etc,and then a series of numbers,the first number denoting the year.

The code stamped on my old battery is A855 2989,so working on the above coding,my battery could have been made in January 1998.

My car was first registered in January 2000,so feasible.

Is it possible this battery is 15 years old ?

Any thoughts on this welcome ! :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a 52 plate 2.0TS, and needed a new battery about 6 months ago. When I took the old one out it had an Alfa Romeo sticker on it too!
It crossed my mind that it was possibly the original battery but I have no idea what the code on it was.
Maybe the batteries used were mega quality, maybe a previous owner had it changed at a dealership, although when I priced it at Mangoletsi they wanted double the price I paid at my local motor store.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
Batteries can last for years if they are looked after. My ma's old Uno battery was 14 years old before it died .. and I've had plenty of cars where the battery "came with the car" and was still in service after another 8 or 10 years.

The red-sticker Alfa batteries around the 2000s were made by Magneti Marelli (as incidentally was the Uno battery) so maybe the Marelli doodah is just good quality.

But alsoI think yer average pleb' doesn't look after their battery.. they don't check the level and they don't keep them charged up. When the battery is a bit sluggish, they'll also often buy a new one rather than just recharge their old one.

The dealers and motor trade don't help either.. trying to flog you a battery every 5 minutes (with free fitting!) All last winter the RAC were flogging their batteries.. don't take chances with your "old" (aka worn out.. I think they even used the word "dangerous") battery.

For a lot of people, it's easier to regularly buy a new one than just look after the old one, so the old one doesn't make it.. :(

Ralf S.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I replaced the original FIAMM battery in my Ducati recently after thirteen years' stalwart service. And that battery was NOT looked after; I often let the immobiliser run it completely flat.

In fact it was still working fine when I replaced it, I just thought it had been abused enough.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts