Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what long journeys other forum members had undertaken in their 159's.

This June, my Wife, 2 children and I travelled from Chester to Frejus in the South of France. Including trips around the area (including one to Italy) the total distance travelled was 2,700 Miles.

The car (a Red JTDM Lusso '09' Plate) performed faultlessly. We also noticed a few other UK plated 159's in the Frejus area.

What long distances have other 159's undertaken. Should be an interesting topic.:cool:

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
I have done several round trips to the Cherante region of France in my 159, around 1200 miles a go with no problem. You will read elsewhere on this forum, we have just completed a 2730 miles round trip to Italy and back in our 2.2 JTS Spider, no problems.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Took the Ti to St Gouéno in France and back putting about 3000Km on the clock, did a mini service before I went oil +filter and she just took it all in her stride. Including a run up the hill :)

On the way back to Cherbourg we stopped overnight at Mont St Michel on the coast, well worth a visit, stunning views...

Now if they would just drive on the same side as us we'd be sorted...

·
Registered
625 Posts
several trips ....

... from Berlin to:
  • island Hvar in Croatia (bout 1400 km one direction)
  • north half of Italy, mostly following Mille Miglia route (few good thousends), via Switzerland
  • Cote de Azzure till St Tropez, via Switzerland
Always towing either small trailer with my Vespa or big caravan also with Vespa on it.

enjoyed every bit :p of the trips except when feeding the 3.2JTS beast with petrol :cry:

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Whilst not a single extra long trip, regularly do 3hr stints in the Alfa, the Ti seats are awesome!

Edit: Forgot I drove from Leamington to Leuven in Belgium last year! (350miles, 560km).

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I drove from Sussex to Holland on half a tank of diesel last November. The car didn't miss a beat and was a pleasure to drive. Certainly gave it a good 'de-coke'!

Drove back again two days later after a very rock 'n' roll weekend at a custom bike show and a very nice hotel!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Last year i made 2500 km from Moscow to Tyumen in february on the horrible Middle-Russian roads. Mostly - no problems at all. Other - is the road condition issues. The main thing in the long journey is TO FIND THE RIGHT SEAT POSITION FOR YOU!!! It may be not a big issue in the short trips like 30 minutes road, but in the long time uncomfortable seat in alfa will kill your back!!!
Anyway i don't think here are any stupid person who still haven't found the right position for himself.:D

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
done the south of france a few times, but the longest was croatia last summer. round trip was something like 2400 miles. longest i've ever done in a day was 730 miles from near dijon in france all the way home, plus ferry crossing

C

·
0 Posts
I picked up my 159 from the dealer in June last year and went straight from there up north to Finland. The plan was to drive from Zurich to Copenhagen in one day but after 500 km the plastic water coolant thing on the car popped and left me at a German gas station in the middle of nowhere. Had to spend the night there and got it fixed at a local garage the next morning - could then continue the trip without any damage to engine. I learnt about the plastic thing the hard way - next time I'll do my homework.

I then drove Fulda - Stockholm (1375 km) in one day, and took the ferry over to southern Finland. On the way back I did the same route and drove Copenhagen - Zurich (1330 km) in one day - no problems, and the seat was comfortable. I did experience some minor neck pain though..

On fuel consumption: despite having the 2.4 engine (my first large engine), I actually drove from Lübeck to Stockholm without refilling - through half of Denmark (ferry Puttgarden - Rodbyhavn) and half of Sweden. Around 920 kms. I love my diesel :)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
you guys are turning me on to the idea of a long trip to somewhere in europe! but the ti seats don't feel great for a log drive... the 156 felt more huggy and suited to my shape!

·
Registered
213 Posts
you guys are turning me on to the idea of a long trip to somewhere in europe! but the ti seats don't feel great for a log drive... the 156 felt more huggy and suited to my shape!
I am 6'2 and TI seats are fine for me. Just came back from Europe, 950 miles/14 hours trip.
Just as comfortable as 166's seats IMO

·
Registered
151 Posts
Drove 159 from Liverpool to Plymouth, ferry to Santander drove to Parador over the town of Segovia, down to Guardamar del Segura where my mum lives spent a week there, then over to Cordoba for two nights back to Madrid for two nights then back to the ferry at Santander. Total of nearly 2700 miles with running around on trips as well as the 500 miles to the ferry both ways while still in England. Alfa was much admired and ran perfectly, have repeated the trip loads of times but went straight to my mums just outside Alicante which is still a total of 550 miles one way in three different 159's that I've owned without a single breakdown. Love to tell that one to all the smug beamer owners in the pub!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was the person that originally kicked off this topic driving with the family form Chester to Frejus in the South of France. Since then we have driven to South West France, Spain and Central Italy (albeit not in the 159 that went to the wife for a period and was then replaced by a Mito). I still remember that trip to France with much fondness including the waving to other UK plated 159's in the South of France.

What I was pleased to see in Italy this year is that although 159's have been out of production fro 3 years there seem to be more there then ever (we go to Italy quite often). And this got me thinking, are the Italian's importing used 159's from other countries (i.e Germany).

Any thoughts.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I am the guest poster above with the trip from Zurich to Finland :) and I have done that trip two summers in a row now.

Also drove to Vienna from Zurich in a day, that's almost 9 hours of driving.

The 159 is a fantastic long-distance traveler.

Kudos to my parents though, they drove earlier this year from Helsinki to Malaga in a 15 year old 156 2.0 without a single problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Went with my 159 sw from Belgium to France (not far). On the way back the Engine light came on -> car didn't have any power. Had to have it towed back to Belgium.

Dealer told me the soot filter had caused this.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Not as glamorous as a drive to Italy, but I regularly drive from Reading to Manchester and back in a day. It's a 400 mile round trip, and I manage a full day in the office up there too.

I enjoy the journey back the most, but then I've never been a morning person!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts