Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was genuinely sorry to see Lombarda disappear in 2011 - I wonder what happened, (although I bet it had something to do with their prime West London mews location just begging conversion into nice yuppie flats)

I leaned through the railings and took this pic in April, which I think says it all... :(

MobileMe Gallery

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,710 Posts
I bought my GTV6 from there in 1997. I have very affectionate memories of that place.

I pulled into the yard in my Golf, and I saw the GTV6 I eventually bought as I drove in. I was so in awe of it, that i forget to slow, and came *that close* to slamming my GTi right into the rear of an immaculate Duetto. D'oh!

I took the Alfa for a drive, and (cliche alert!) fell in love. Next week, I got my Alfa-grounded dad to come down and check the car out. En route, he droned on about '...if you want a V6, what about a nice Golf V6? Or even Opel, it makes a nice Calibra V6?...why do you go for old technology, eh?' Bohf, bohf, bohf, blah, blah, blah...

On arrival, my dad took one look, and his eyes lit up. He then took the car for a drive. Thirty minutes passed before he came back, his face beaming, but the sales guy's face ashen. Amid a whiff of cooked brakes, he said, 'g, that's a nice car'.

There is a sad end to the story, however; the young sales guy - a truly infectious Alfa nut - had a terminal disease, and he passed away some 18 months or so after I bought the car.

RIP Nick.

G

·
0 Posts
Sold me a GT 3.2 that was not HPI clear (had been in a crash and had a lot of repair done to it I discovered), they showed me an old HPI report which I didn't note the date. It was a right hassle sorting it as the salesman who sold me it had left but they still got him to sort it (all very strange). They closed a few weeks after so thank **** I noticed it when I did. So sadly my experience of them was a very bad one..although I think it was the particular saleman who was trying it on rather then the dealership

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
my 'exploding' 33 CL was supplied by Lombarda to my mother in law before she gave it to me. Don't think the final fiery death was anything to do with them, but they had stuck their dealership stickers on with araldite and I could never get them off

·
Registered
70 Posts
My S3 was originally uprated by them in the early 90s - they creamed a fortune off the PO in his quest to make it the way it should have been supplied form the factory. No direct dealings with them myself but I hate seeing long running Indys go out of business.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts