Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few days ago it took me less than 8 seconds to get a locking wheel nut off my car, simply knocked an oversize socket onto the lock nut, I'm told that some have a ferrule on the outside so if anyone tries the oversize socket method it simply spins and the lock nut still can't be removed, does anyone have these?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, thats exactly what I was looking for,....... word of warning to other users, without the spinning ferrule (or some other ingenius device that i haven't seen) the "normal" locking nuts are next to useless, doesn't matter what sort of keying device is used,.... if the outside face is circular and doesn't spin they are very easy to remove by hammering on a socket that is slightly oversize.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Our main dealer supplied me a set similar to these for a similar price iirc, they also changed them over free of charge as I had lost my locking wheel nut key.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I think those are the McGard Ultra's, apparently very good.

McGard Ultra | Products | Auto Express
I had these (standard fit) on the volvo but ape-like tyre fitters over tighten them which damages both the key and the bolt when trying to remove them which eventually leads to not being able to remove them at all! Mcguard will replace they keys for free if damaged, but this is no good stuck by the side of a road with a flat!

Having said that, they are good, the only way to get the wheel off without a key (or if the key is useless) is to angle grind the wheel off! Just don't let an airgun weildimg ape near them..

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some of the lads these places employ really shouldn't be allowed near a car, companys fault for not training em though, having had probs with wheels. tracking , exhausts etc i always stand next to em and supervise if necessary, if they pull the health and safety line i take it somewhere else.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Not sure what they are but on one of my alfas I had a set that had 3 offset holes in, looked a bit like a variator almost, Simler to those mcgards, can't see how you would get them off

i have seen mechanics weld nuts onto the lockers, if the key has been lost to remove them

1 - 7 of 7 Posts