Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I purchased some McGard Locking wheel nuts from Halfords. Their guide said I needed type 27169su for my 156 JTD original alloys. However, whilst they may have gone on ok the nut head size is bigger than the other normal nuts so I would have to keep 2 different wrench sizes at hand all the time. I took them back for a refund. Has anyone else had this problem & if so do you know what spec I would have to buy so the nut is the same size? Does Alfa use a unique nut head size? If so I guess they could only be knicked by Alfa wrench owners?!!! Any help with this one would be much appreciated.:confused: Andy

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
There are 2 different sizes for the bolt head, 17mm and 19mm, the rest of the bolt is the same. You must have got the 19mm bolts which the earlier 156 used, latter 156 and 147 used the 17mm bolts

BTW the length of the threaded part should be about 24mm long, they are M12x1.25 thread

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
alffas do not use wheel NUTs, they use wheel BOLTs

19mm & 17mm headed bolts are used, 19mm are typiclaly on pre-face lift & 17mm on face lift cars.

·
Registered
384 Posts
yes i had the same problem as you, ordered mcgard ultra for my car from ebay(new) i even told them i wanted 17mm nut, they said fine then sent 19mm nut and i had to pay the return postage, not happy.

i could not get the ultra version in my the correct size only standard mcgard, i dont think much to the standard ones, they have no ring that spins on them.

i bought some EVO 5 locking bolts instead, the same spec as mcgard ultra and cheaper. i would recommend these.

they as can supply replacement keys as you are given a code when you buy them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
156 locking wheel nuts

Thanks to all for your replies ref the locking wheel bolts for my 156. I like the sound of the EVO ones, off now to track these down on the net! Thanks again, Andy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts