Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a 2.0 GTV and have come across some issues with the central locking system and was wondering if anyone out there has any advice that could help.
Firstly I got four keys with the car - 3 standard red keys and a darker key that looks like it could be some sort of master key. I did not get any keys with remote locking plips - is this standard on this model?
When I use the key to open the car (which is always as I don't have a remote) it does not activate the switch that lowers the window a fraction - this means that in order to seal the window I need to lower and then raise the window after closing the door.
Is this a common fault and is there a quick fix?
I also think that I am going to have to replace the switch to open the fuel flap - is this a common fault or could something else be causing the problem??
Answers on a postcard please.

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
If it's a phase 1 95-98 then if it even has an alarm it'll be a separate fob.

the window drop feature is a late phase 2 thing and even some of them don't have it.

as for the flap I'd have to look at the manual and see where it's relay is.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Fuel cap relay is on a bracket on the left side of the boot. Behind the carpet at the top.

One of these : http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m615/pkr1/Alfa Romeo GTV Phase 1 - Retro Fit Climate Control/6 Modifying the heated rear window wiring/2011-12-12_15-26-00_DSC_0062.jpg

EDIT : It's the one with the white base according to the manual.

Window fix : You need to remove the door card and move the window stops ( right at the top of the door ).
Have a look : How To... Fix Wind Noise Issues on GTV/Spiders

keys : The normal key without the coloured badge ( only an embossed badge ) is the valet key. It doesn't work on some of the locks ( boot, glovebox ).

·
Registered
116 Posts
i have a 98 spider i had the same problem with the alarm no fob i had 2 red keys and a dark brown one .
To find out if it has an alarm remove the carpet /panel to the right hand side of the radio /console 2 screws and it lifts out ,have a look behind the gear lever there should be a alarm control box .
Then following a recommendation from this site i sent the box to Abacus alarms in south london and for £99 the guy there reprogrammed it and provided 2 alarm fobs i fitted it back in and had alarm and remote locking .
Is there a red led constantly flashing on the dash if so you have a alarm fitted .
cant help with your other issues
hope this helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much for all of your help - to be honest, as I am new to the site, I was kind of expecting e-mail alerts when anyone posted so thought that no one had bothered - when I then logged back on I was so chuffed to see that you guys had taken time out of your life to help me!

The car does have a flashing red LED on the dash so I had assumed that there was an alarm - I am going to take some time tomorrow to take all the helpfu advice that you gave me and inspect the car.

Regarding the window drop feature I have owned some BMW coupes so when I saw that the window glass was outside the rubbers when I close the doors I assumed (again! And yes I know that to assume makes an ass out of u and me) that this feature was present - when I drop the window a fraction with the door closed and then raise them again the windows seal - does this mean that it is present or not?

Have to say that I am loving driving the car - what a blast!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts