Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to everyone,

Just a quick note has anyone had any problems with there locking petrol caps. I am finding it more and more difficult to get my key in to open it. Took my 5 minutes the other day putting my key in and out till it eventually went all the way in so i could open it...

·
Registered
132 Posts
No problems opening or closing it.....but is it just mine that once it's open you cant take the key out of it?

Really annoys me that I have to hang the cap and the keys over the paintwork whilst filling up!!!!!!!! :rant:

·
Registered
803 Posts
There is a proper hanging point on the fuel flap for it - doesnt cause my keys to touch the paintwork.
You have to push the flap fully open so it locks or they will swing in.

GK

·
Registered
359 Posts
to get the key out, When you open the cap put the key in the lock position then just take the key out. When ur finished just unlock it again before you put it back in. Sorted. But its the most awkward car i've ever had 2 fill.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I find it's OK now - though sometimes I still struggle with the cap and have locked the car with everyone in more than once... I find the little restraining rubber always gets tangled up.

It is awkward, but tolerable I guess. What WERE they thinking though? :p

·
Registered
694 Posts
I spent five or ten minutes on the petrol station forecourt trying to work out how to open the thing just after I'd had mine delivered, including flicking through the manual which basically says "open it with the key" and doesn't specify that you have to hold it still and actually unlock it.
Not had any trouble with it since I worked it out though.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I spent ages with it spinning round and round wondering why it wasn't unlocking :p
Mine was delivered and the bloke who delivered it skipped over that part, though I would have done the same personally as once you've realised how it works it's the most obvious thing in the world.

·
Registered
247 Posts
No problems unlocking or locking, but that rubber string attachment can be a bit of a pain, I have to unwind it every now and then like an old telephone cord.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yep the rubber string is a PITA. I find when unwidning it it's very difficult not to end up with the kets and key ring banging into the paintwork.
Seriously considering just snipping the rubber cord off as no other car I've ever driven has had such a device and as the keys are retained in the cap it's impossible to drive off having forgotten to replace it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yes i hate the filler cap/key thing. Just filled up today and as ADF say's if you are left handed it's even worse! As if life isn' t hard enough for us lefties !:confused:

·
Registered
87 Posts
One of the first things I did 4 years ago was to **** that bloody rubber strap off lol! Now I unlock the fuel cap, leave it attached to the keys on top of the petrol pump and then lock it back up and get my keys back out

1 - 20 of 32 Posts